redsea's 125g Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree. Keep an eye on it and you should be fine. Moving a couple rocks from another tank is also a good idea. :)

I left my 55g up and running fishless for several months and it stayed cycled. I think it depends on how strong the beneficial bacteria were to begin with.

Cool, thanks!

So the new fishes will be moved into the hypo'ed QT with rock etc. :) I can't wait to go get some new friends, I will update later on which ones I get.

On another note, I have been thinking about the Tang situation. I think I am going to go back to my original plan of stocking this tank with a Yellow Tang, not a Purple. I love the Purple, but if I am going to try to have two Zebrasomas, I would rather try it with a Yellow and Scopas. They are actually have a sale on their Yellow Tangs at the LFS. :)

Woooohoo new fishiesss!!! Lol goodluck!!!

Thanks, I'm really excited too! I can't wait to go get them. And I PROMISE pictures most likely tonight, or at the very latest tomorrow. I haven't been great with uploading pictures lately. :nono:

Okay!

I took out maybe 3/4 a cup of sand from the 55g, and a took out a little "rock branch" I had. I hope that is enough. :)

I was a little worried though because while I was taking the sound out, and putting it in the QT, I had a mini sand storm :hide:. Probably won't be a problem though. Additionally, while I was taking sand out, a few pieces fell on my mushrooms. I know that if a coral is covered by sand (like from Carey's evil Goby :lol:) there will be an issue, but can a few pieces harm it?

Thanks for reading all! :-D

redsea said:
Cool, thanks!

So the new fishes will be moved into the hypo'ed QT with rock etc. :) I can't wait to go get some new friends, I will update later on which ones I get.

On another note, I have been thinking about the Tang situation. I think I am going to go back to my original plan of stocking this tank with a Yellow Tang, not a Purple. I love the Purple, but if I am going to try to have two Zebrasomas, I would rather try it with a Yellow and Scopas. They are actually have a sale on their Yellow Tangs at the LFS. :)

Purple is a lot calmer... I'm glad my yellow is gone.

redsea said:
Okay!

I took out maybe 3/4 a cup of sand from the 55g, and a took out a little "rock branch" I had. I hope that is enough. :)

I was a little worried though because while I was taking the sound out, and putting it in the QT, I had a mini sand storm :hide:. Probably won't be a problem though. Additionally, while I was taking sand out, a few pieces fell on my mushrooms. I know that if a coral is covered by sand (like from Carey's evil Goby :lol:) there will be an issue, but can a few pieces harm it?

Thanks for reading all! :-D

Little pieces are ok for sure! If you have been followibg my tank build, i had to remove 37 lbs from the 30 into my 66. Naturally, i also had a sandstorm. All corals are fine though:)

And once last month my pistol shrimp burried some of my corals. Still, fine!

Kio707 said:
Purple is a lot calmer... I'm glad my yellow is gone.

Really? Well then I may go back to the Purple, lol. I just went to the pet shop, and unfortunately, did not buy anything. :( I wasn't overly impressed with the health of some of the stock this time, and just figured I would be better off ordering from LA. Sorry. :(

But that does mean that an order from LA is in my future. :) That's something to look forward to. Unfortunately, LA's only Purple Tang in right now is $230.00 and I think it is medium/large. I was hoping to get a smaller one. :)

Kio- do you think a Purple would be okay with my Scopas if it were smaller than the Scopas?

Thanks.

Gboy66 said:
Little pieces are ok for sure! If you have been followibg my tank build, i had to remove 37 lbs from the 30 into my 66. Naturally, i also had a sandstorm. All corals are fine though:)

And once last month my pistol shrimp burried some of my corals. Still, fine!

Thanks for the reassurance!

Hey Redsea, JMO, but I don't think your Scopas would like it very much if you put a Purple in with him. They are both from the same family Zebrasoma, and the Purple is known to be just as aggressive, if not more than a Yellow. Even if the Purple was smaller, I think it would lead to trouble. Just my .02. :)

I think since you already have the scopas the purple might be a gamble. :-( If you were putting them in at the same time it might be different but adding tangs to an already established tang tank could lead to trouble, specially since they have the same body type.

Plenty of tangs to choose from though, dont give up yet! lol

Thanks all of you!

I think I will shy away from all Zebrasoma Tangs then. :) I would rather be safe the sorry, the last thing I want is for me fish to be unfriendly with one another.

Any suggestions for my last Tang? :)

Thanks everyone!!

Well- my tank is against all odds- but it's a gamble adding any tang to a tank that has another tang already in it. My yellow and Sailfin went in first. Then the purple. Then the doctor. Then the lieutenant. Then the Achilles. Am I missing anyone? Lol. I is watch my tank for days after every introduction and would only acclimate after lights out. Believe it or not the doctor tang keeps everyone in line now. He's the boss. My yellow is no longer the king. Like I said- its a gamble either way. I got lucky. You have a qt tank right? Could always take the other tang out for a few weeks to introduce both tangs at the same time.

I do have a QT. :) Then I could just add both at the same time when I am ready. :) However, that would mean I wouldn't be able to QT the Purple unless I setup an additional QT. I would actually probably be okay with that since it would be coming from LA, and I trust them.

Ahh decisions, decisions. :lol:

Thanks everyone for posting your thoughts, they are greatly appreciated!

Do you guys think I should quarantine fish from LiveAquaria.com? I don't think I will be quarantining fish from the diver's den as they QT them there, but I am not sure about other fish not from the Diver's Den. I am thinking about placing an order later today, not sure yet though. :)

Thank you. :)

Back
Top Bottom