redsea's 125g Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would still qt it. They probably do a good job observing them while in qt but they have a lot of fish to look after . With ick being such a pain to deal with I would rather be safe then sorry.

Have you ever considered tank transfer method? I prophylacticly treat my new fish, and switched from doing hypo to tank transfer. It is very easy and only takes 12 days, and eliminates ich. I then watch the fish for another two weeks and in they go. I was frustrated as I used both copper and hypo and it took 3 months to get rid of ich on some new arrivals (foxface and kole tang). So when I learned about tank transfer, that is what I've done since, even with a blue tang, she hid a lot and I use a small tank 10 gallon and a 5 gallon bucket to do the treatment. It won't get rid of velvet, so you should observe for two to four more weeks.

I like knowing I'm eliminating the ich, even if I can't see it. I had it show up before on day 21 of QT, almost put the fish in my DT, so no more observing for me. Also, with doing 100% water change every 4 days, you don't have to worry about cycling, just add prime or amquel with the water if needed, I never got ammonia in the four days time. After the last transfer I do 10 days of prazipro to eliminate flukes, etc. Just wanted to offer another option to your QT method, no one should have to deal with the pain of treating ich, a little bit of patience goes a long way.

Update: May 30, 2012 :)

I have a little update for today. :) I ordered 100 LBS of base rock yesterday. :) I think it will make the tank look better with new rock. Do you guys recommend washing the rock before placing it in the tank?

I also have been working on raising the salinity, I will most likely order from LA after the salinity is risen and the parameters are in check so I can get corals/inverts with my order also.

That is it for now! Happy Wednesday!

Have you ever considered tank transfer method? I prophylacticly treat my new fish, and switched from doing hypo to tank transfer. It is very easy and only takes 12 days, and eliminates ich. I then watch the fish for another two weeks and in they go. I was frustrated as I used both copper and hypo and it took 3 months to get rid of ich on some new arrivals (foxface and kole tang). So when I learned about tank transfer, that is what I've done since, even with a blue tang, she hid a lot and I use a small tank 10 gallon and a 5 gallon bucket to do the treatment. It won't get rid of velvet, so you should observe for two to four more weeks.

I like knowing I'm eliminating the ich, even if I can't see it. I had it show up before on day 21 of QT, almost put the fish in my DT, so no more observing for me. Also, with doing 100% water change every 4 days, you don't have to worry about cycling, just add prime or amquel with the water if needed, I never got ammonia in the four days time. After the last transfer I do 10 days of prazipro to eliminate flukes, etc. Just wanted to offer another option to your QT method, no one should have to deal with the pain of treating ich, a little bit of patience goes a long way.

Nope, I have never tried that method before, I am going to look into it! Thanks for the suggestion!

The base rock probably has a bunch of dust and loose bits on it. I would give them a rinse in ro before you add them to the tank.

As some you you might know, the BRS group buy is currently running. Is there anything you guys would recommend that I purchase for my tank?

I am curious to see if you guys have any suggestions for things that may help me or make the tank better etc.

Thank you.

Do you have an ato yet? And there are always filter socks for the sump! LOL

I think your tank is pretty setup already, is there anything you were looking into buying particularly?

No, I don't have one just yet, I want to get one soon though!

Filter socks are a fantastic idea! How many times to you recommend cleaning out the one you are currently using before throwing it out and getting a new one?

Thanks!

Red sea if your using a CPR overflow I have an alternative to using filter socks. I use the poly fil from walmart and stuff some in the overflow box itself and change it out every 2 days. Works the same as socks IMO .

I've got some not so good news tonight. Tonight I saw my Lawnmower Blenny dead. :( It might have been because I possibly had too much of a jump in salinity, or it could have been something else.

On a different note, I am getting very excited for my rock to come. I ordered it from reefrocks.net by the way. :) For those of you who have ordered before, approximately how long does it take to get delivered? I remember you guy(s) saying it did take a little longer than normal, right?

Anyway, when the rock does come and it gets in the tank, I will be sure to take pictures for you all.

Thanks!

I'm so sorry about your blenny......:-( was he eating and everything? they can be a little tricky if they dont eat frozen food...

I know my sand took like 3 weeks to come from reefrocks, a long wait but it was excellent quality. Hopefully your rock will be here soon.

Looking forward to pictures of course, you know how much i love them!

Thanks.

Actually, he wasn't eating anything. :( The only thing I ate since in he came from LA (that I can tell) was algae. He did however have quite the belly.

I will definitely post pictures, you know how bad I am about that, :lol:.

Congrats on the chalice by the way, aren't they pretty rare?

Yep, my first chalice. :) it's a pretty nice size too, at least from what i've seen they are pretty darn expensive. lol

My lawnmower lasted over ayear and then just disappeared if you remember, fat belly and all. Not sure what the life expectancy is on those guys, but I would assume it would be longer than you had yours. :-( Sometimes it's nothing we do but the fish die anyway, one of those life mysteries, which I hate by the way. I'd rather know if i did something wrong or the fish was sick bit sometimes there just is no easy answer..

Congrats on the Chalice, Carey! They are cool looking. I got my first frag of it about a year ago, pretty slow grower compared to a Monti, I'd say it's about doubled in size.
Good luck with it!

That's ok Flreefer, no need to apologize. I posted something in the wrong Carey build thread once, LOL.

It's all good. :)

Thanks, :)
Sorry about your Lawnmower...like Carey said, sometimes the stock we receive are doomed and there's really no way to tell.

Here are the two things I ordered from BRS! I also have that eBay Ro/Di unit on its way.

Attachments

• image-1733058937.jpg
    image-1733058937.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 68
Back
Top Bottom