Reef guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keegster803

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys, as the title says it all, I'm converting my guppies over to full saltwater and putting one or two in my nano reef Spec V. I will be going through the process, showing anyone interested how you can do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I am acclimating them over a period of 4-7 days. I'll be raising the salinity slowly, I have been planning on a way to do this with a 100% mortality rate. I have a good hypothesis, and that is what I'm using to convert them.

I am acclimating them over a period of 4-7 days. I'll be raising the salinity slowly, I have been planning on a way to do this with a 100% mortality rate. I have a good hypothesis, and that is what I'm using to convert them.

100% mortality rate!?! :eek: Why would you want to kill them all?

My only problem with doing this is that fancy guppies aren't suited to the high flow rates of a reef tank. If you want to use guppies it would be best to use wild type ones.

I place fancy guppies in my reef tank. Easy acclimation out of 10 only 1 died. Then I acclimated them back to fresh water because the cycling was over.

You have to do it by taking the fish, putting them in a 1-2 gallon container, then you start to raise the salinity by .00001 every day, until it is at the salinity of your tank

You have to do it by taking the fish, putting them in a 1-2 gallon container, then you start to raise the salinity by .00001 every day, until it is at the salinity of your tank

With salt water specific gravity being at 1.025 that would be 2500 days of acclimating...

Going by the refractive index and salinity in parts per thousand it would be around 350 days of acclimating. I think your math might be off by a few decimal points :)
]

I acclimated them in a week. I just put a bubbler in a gallon tank and add saltwater slowly over the week. My guppies are extremely hardy and can love any where. I have had a couple of them on my front during the summer and they grew up to be very pretty. But my point is guppies are stubborn.

You can do the accliamtion in only a couple of hours. It doesn't need ot take a week. Thats just crazy.
I've got mollies in my tank, acclimated them for 20 minutes, and let them go, didnt' lose a one of em. Guppies are the same method.

You can do the accliamtion in only a couple of hours. It doesn't need ot take a week. Thats just crazy.
I've got mollies in my tank, acclimated them for 20 minutes, and let them go, didnt' lose a one of em. Guppies are the same method.

In a salt water tank?

Honestly, I doubt OP is serious.

Since the bacteria between freshwater and salt water ARE different this would seem the safest way to do this.
To take days or even weeks to "switch over" could lead to unnecessary exposure to ammonia and nitrites as a cycled system in "flux" is not happening IMO.(y)

Its good to grow guppies in salt water if you feed live fish.

By feeding them the proper diet, the same stuff salt water fish eat, you can negate the diet issues you see with feeding live fish to salty fish.

I am being serious, and I meant .01, not .0001, lol, and I am just doing it for that many days, only for the salinity difference, the tank is already cycled and I will make sure the cycle doesn't "flux" and kill the fish. Plus these guys are endler/guppy hybrids, and I just wanted some cool colors to add to the zoa colonies, so I thought, oh guppies! I knew they could be kept in brackish tanks, just like mollies, so I tried to push the limits, and this is it.

Interested in this process too. I have a nano tank and reef fish are very limited for the smaller 12G tank and Mollies are kinda big and poopy so also was considering SW option read all over the place this works fine for MOST of the Guppies. Just hadn't actually "talked" with people to see how and what they did.

You learn something new every day in this hobby! So, if guppies can live happily in FW or SW, does that mean they would be happiest in brackish?

Back
Top Bottom