Reef Safe Banded Shark? in a 75Gal??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxnonamexx

Aquarium Advice Freak
My friend just purchased a 8" reef safe banded shark for his 75gal. saltwater tank. From what I have read this will have trouble survivng. Any thoughts? Thanks

an 8" fish is really pushing the limits on a 75gallon tank as it is.

without knowing exact species I can't lookup how large it will get, but I'd say at least 12", if not 24"...far too large for a 75gallon...provided it survives.

its probably best if he returns it, unless he has a significantly larger tank to put it in within the next 2 months.

*Sigh*
Sharks should be in the Ocean, or at least very large public aquariums (1000's of gallons).
From what I userstand, this species can get to over 3 feet.

He has no intentions of getting a larger tank he has a large volitan lionfish, a large Naso tang, 2 clownfish, and alot of live rock and corals, clams. It is 8" and he thinks that it is going to survive and that it is easy to take care of. Kepp in mind this is the guy from previous posts that knows nothing about SW Reef and wishes a tank to flourish overnight. His tank has been setup for 6 months now and he has lost 2 clams and 25 fish he doesn't listen to anyone and thinks he knows it all. I tell him he should give up on the hobby. Although lately he has had alot of his corals flourish which I was suprised since most was trial and error but it's a shame to see many corals and fish die before being successful.

seems to me like it is a case of he has more money than sense. What a shame.

I would have never bought something that gets that big with no intention of getting a bigger tank. With a 75 Gallon tank I don't think he can keep it that long because of the tank dimensions. It will be hard for him to turn around when he hits 10" or so!

I have to take Hara's side on this one!

Agree with Kurt and Hara.. your friend is an absolute nut.. I've seen these sharks in a lfs.. and the tank it was in was 20m(L) x 4m(H) x 4(D) and i thought that was pushing it.. all he is doing is securing the demise of that fish..

His tank has been setup for 6 months now and he has lost 2 clams and 25 fish he doesn't listen to anyone and thinks he knows it all.
Well there you go. What else is there to say that wont get you banned from this forum... :roll:

I would recommend that xxnonamexx does not post these kind of things! People might look down on you for even being friends whit this person, because he does not lission.

His tank has been setup for 6 months now and he has lost 2 clams and 25 fish he doesn't listen to anyone and thinks he knows it all.

Just shows that some people have more money then sense. IMO

:bad-words:

IMO, what's the point of this shark? It doesn't swim around, it hides under rock all day and only comes out when the tank is being fed. We have one in a 210g that's about 18" long and has been that long for four months. He's doing fine and looks healthier than when we got him. In a 75g with two other large fish, and two clowns? What a waste of money.. but as it is always pointed out, this hobby is about the pleasure of the observer -- though I'm hard fetched to find pleasure in causing the death of several innocent creatures.

If he's going to keep him, at least have him offer live food every week or so in addition to normal feedings (such as guppies). I bet the LFS loves this guy.. :evil:

demodiki said:
I am not sure this guy has said anything to get him banned from anywhere.

I think he meant that demodiki might say something that could get him banned like swearing at the guy who has no regard for a fish's wellbeing. I hear ya demodiki.

Back
Top Bottom