Reef to Cichlid Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

40galreef

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 40 gallon saltwater aquarium that has encountered too many problems for me to justify being able to solve. After losing corals, fish, and a huge algae problem, I have decided to go back to familiar territories; freshwater.

One of my questions is: Can I use my wet dry filter on a Cichlid tank?

Second: I have a wave point, 96 watt fixture, it has 2 white and 2 blue bulbs. Will this work for a Cichlid? Note-the tank is deep

Last for now: Can I use slate rock I have leftover from a project in my backyard?

As a side note: what kind of decor do you guys recommend for a tank like this with a sand bottom?

Thanks for your help!

Depending on your stock list I would suggest some live plants like cryps and Anubias easy to take care low light requirements adds a nice splash of natural color. Here's a pic of my 55 gallon African cichlid tank. I have amazon swords , Anubias and I used slate rocks and have a crushed coral substrate.

image-3774226491.jpg

Great looking tank! You don't think 96 watts is too much for a low light freshwater plant? Also, what fish can I put in with cichlids?

BlaseMrNiceguy said:
Depending on your stock list I would suggest some live plants like cryps and Anubias easy to take care low light requirements adds a nice splash of natural color. Here's a pic of my 55 gallon African cichlid tank. I have amazon swords , Anubias and I used slate rocks and have a crushed coral substrate.

Great looking tank! You don't think 96 watts is too much for a low light freshwater plant? Also, what fish can I put in with cichlids?

With 96 watts your probably good for moderate lighting in the tank so it shouldn't be too much light.

This is what I have so far, looks kinda bland. Will this get better with plants and fish?

Attachments

• image-3200075433.jpg
    image-3200075433.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 95
Back
Top Bottom