Refractometer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jermz79

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just ordered this refractometer and was wondering if any of you have used it and if so what are your opinions on it? I have been using an Instant Ocean Hydrometer and absolutely hate it. I can never get a true reading because the arm bounces around and floats all over the place! I didn't want to spend a whole lotta money, but this one looked good for the price!

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...duct_Code=REFRACT-PA&Category_Code=Hydrometer

Thanks,
Jermz

That's the exact one I have. works like a champ. Recalibrate it once a month.
Also, the instructions for it are wedged under the foam in the top half of the case (I finally found mine after 9 months!)

I'm sure the instructions will provide the necessary info., but how exactly do you calibrate it!!!
Other than that you like huh?

I have this one too. It should be calibrated at the factory. To calibrate it, you put a couple drops of RO water on the prism and turn the screw with the provided screw driver until it zeros when looking through the lens. You can check if it is calibrated before you first use it.

Sorry to tag on to your thread, but I had the same basic issue/question. Too much good feedback to ignore, so I just ordered one.

Thanks all (esp Jermz79 for the thread and link) !!

You would want to used distilled water because all of the dissolved substances that would change the index of refraction are missing. RO is not the same as distilled when it comes to dissolved substances in the water.

I have used both distilled and RO and not noticed any difference. Since I have RO more readily, thus I use RO.

I have the same one also...but I found my instructions sooner :p

It works great...really lets you know how off the other ones are (plastic with the needle) sorry I forgot the name

I use ro/di to calibrate mine...I did it once and have not had to do it again...we checked it against a digital salinity meter at my LFS and it was "dead on"

Back
Top Bottom