Refugium/Sump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank2379

Aquarium Advice Addict
What the heck is the difference between a refugium and a Sump? Stupid Question? Aren't they the same thing?

A sump is basically just a big basin of water which would house a return pump and a skimmer. A refugium is basically the same thing but contains benificial algae to remove nitrates. A lot of modern sumps are really a sump/refugium hybrid.

I am just scratching my head about it.... I know a lot of folks like to use the sump to keep the equipment out but. But I guess what I am trying to say is what is a Good SUMP/ REFUGIUM to get? I've seen so many now and it's kind of confusing I guess to say on what to get? Any one have any ideas which ones are good to get for Sump and Fuge?

yeah... buy a 20 or 30G tank and make your own.. Very easy to do

My 20L cost me $25 brand new at Petco (on sale)
1 sheet of 1/4 inch glass was $12
1 tube of silicone

you really can't go wrong on designing a sump. It's kind of like artwork or aquascaping, everyone has there own preference. About the only recommendation I have ever heard is to put the skimmer before the refuge other than that the sky is the limit.

Here's sump/fuge. Off the shelf complete. Pay no attention to the dust. This was when I first set it up. It's got the heater now, plenty of rock and life. And no bio-balls :cool:

Attachments

• 36g and new tank setup 027.jpg
    36g and new tank setup 027.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 336
  • New tank 4-27 002.jpg
    New tank 4-27 002.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 103
Frankie,

You planning on keeping your BakPak2 skimmer and just moving it down to the sump?

YOu can then design your sump around that aspect.. Meaning your skimmer in actually NOT inside your sump and you don;t need a seperate section for it... MY HOB skimmer (remora pro) makes almost ZERO micro-bubbles.. So I was able to design mine without a bubble trap. I do, however, have my skimmer in my Fuge area because the Water level is much higher there then the overflow/return section. It's 100times quieter there

Ive been contemplating building my own for the last 2 days... im off today and tomorrow.. so its a prime time to do so.. just mine couldnt be but a 10g =/.. it would be housed under my 55g.. which has 2 seperate door'd areas. Btw.. where do you guys get the micro algea from to put in the refugium?

Btw.. where do you guys get the micro algea from to put in the refugium?

Got a handful of Cheato from a LFS. Regualar price was $30 (YIKES).. They were having a livestock blowaway sale that weekend and got it for $15 which is still pricey.I guess MArco qualified as Livestock?

I'm sure you could find a local reefer willing to give you some. It grows like a weed.. Mine has doubled in size already

ty.. my lfs is a ripoff.. 10bucks a lb for liverock lol.. my sister has salt.. but doesnt have anything but copepods lol. thanks for the recommendation gois =D

Yeah I am thinking of Just making my own. I already decided on a 20 Gallon and I am going to design it a different way than everyone else has. But also thinking a 30 Gallon But just wondering if I go with a 30 gallon would I need a Stronger return pump or will a Mag 7 work just fine? Also I will be ditching the HOB and getting either the OCto Skimmer or an ASM skimmer In'Sump... Just have not decided yet. Still to early to determine that.

Oh yes once I begin Building my Aquarium Stand it will be apart of that Thread. it's going to be a pretty big Stand to I am going to make it to convert into a 120Gallon for Future Tank Purchase.... (y)

yeah but that's probably a few years from now. Right now I am just concentrating on this build and my DIY 30 Gallon Sump/Fuge.

Skimmer is external. See below.

Left to right; fuge, skimmer (behind the collection cup in the forefront), and a 37g fw reservoir.

Attachments

• under tank.jpg
    under tank.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 71
Back
Top Bottom