refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nwbesant

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Currently I am having problems getting my nitrates set low and have had a spike in hairline algea. Phosphates, calcium, ph and nitrites are all very low. I have a 40 gallon breeder and running a canister filter. I don't have room for a sump or refugium, but have heard about the hang on the back refugiums. My question was how efficent are the hang on back refugiums in lowering nitrates and balancing out water?! Any recommendations?

NitrAtes are ok (5-10ppm), it's NitrItes that you don't want. As for getting rid of hairline algae, look into clean up crews (CUCs). I got a 30gallon CUC from LiveAquaria.com for my 55gallon and my hairline algae on my liverock was out of control. It took them 2 days to clean it up... Very satisfied.

you could buy an aquaclear HOB filter and do a little refugium mod on it, look it up on google. if anything just put some macro algae in there just make sure it doesnt get into the tank if you dont want it there, its the macro algae that gets rid of nitrates, not the refugium itself

Chaetomorpha algae is the most common for refugiums. Use this with whatever setup you want to go with to get the best results.

chaeto.jpg

Yeah I had some chato in the tank itself to eat up some of the nitrates work a little bit. But looked like crap so I took it out. But like I said my stand has no room for sump so hang on back is the only thing I can really do and just run my canister also. In the refugium I would do about 2 refugium mud, sand on top of that then slab of live rock and some chato. I have a low budget, so if there are any good ones for cheap and set for 40 gallon or more let me know.

Are you cleaning the canister very well? They can be super nitrate factories if you don't clean out all the debris very well. I personally wouldn't use them on a reef. If you have a 40breeder and a canister you should have room for a sump.

What is the stock in the tank?
What is the water change schedule?
What is the feeding schedule?

It is as simple as nutrients in nutrients out. If you aren't using RO water you are putting in nutrients. If you are feeding too much, are overstocked, etc. you are putting nutrients in. If you aren't doing large enough water changes often enough you aren't taking it out. If you aren't cleaning the canister AT LEAST once a month (VERY WELL) you aren't taking nutrients out.

Phosphates,trites low?You need to get them to zero,are you running a skimmer?I wouldn't bother putting LR into a hob add it to your tank instead.how much LR do you have in the tank,what is you actual water test results,Also you say PH low ? What is it.How often do you clean the cannister?are you using RO/DI water?How often and how much PWC are you doing?how old is your tank?

Nitrates were 20-40ppm, phosphates at 2.0, calcium 400+, nitrites 0, ammonia 0, ph 8.5. My stand will not fit a sump larger than 18 inch long and 10 inch wide. I clean out filter reguarly and also protein skimmer. I have 2 blue damsals, 1 ocellas clown, 1 black clown, 1 clarks clown, green mandroin, 2 peppermint shrimp, lawnmower blunny, pacific blue! 75lbs live rock, 1 brain coral, 2 heads of pulsing xenias, green star polyp (that won't open)-4 days new, and bubble tip annemone. All are doing well, fish don't seem stressed I just hate to have high nitrate levels. I am putting a new 250watt 14000k daylight bulb into t5 this afternoon to hopefully remove hairline algea.

are you using RO/DI water for top off and salt water?you need to drop your phosphates down to 0,how often do you do PWC and how much?sand or CC,any CUC.personally filter needs cleaning weekly,what size skimmer,whats your feeding schedule,
too many nutrients in system due to water used or ovrtfeeding.do 2 or 20-30% waterchanges over a week,this will drop the trates down then feed once a day every 2 days only enough to be eaten in 2-3 mins,remove the rest of the food.

Back
Top Bottom