Regulators! Mount up!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LiQuiD

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I already own an Aquatek regulator. My thoughts on it are mixed, but its affordable and does the job. I have had 2 issues with it where it almost gasses my fish to death.

Another option is the Green Leaf Aquarium route. I have not owned one and if you do, can you sell me on it? $200, $250, $300 for a regulator? Its pricey, but I understand if its the best.

Any other recommendations?

:thanks:

Bump?? :confused::confused: Really shocked no one commented on this. Maybe a simpler question would help.

What regulator brand are you using on your CO2 system?? Do you like it? Was it expensive? Had any issues with it?

:thanks::fish1::thanks:

Do you have needle valves? They are s pretty important part of the step down.

The spouse is a fabricator, so my CO2 system is almost entirely built by him- no name brands to share.

There's a saying- everything you want to do well will take two of the following: time, talent, or treasure. The less effort you want to put into it, the more money you're going to spend.

I use an azoo regulator. Mines not adjustable so that's abit annoying. However I use it with a reactor so pressure isn't really an issue.

It's been running 6 months with no issues at all.

I have heard that the cheaper regs tend to have cheap solenoids and they tend to jam open or closed.

I have read on other forums and websites that the GLA stainless steel regs are basically the rolls Royce of co2 regs.

An even more expensive option would be to go to a hospital grade regulator. I'm sure these would set you back an insane amount of money for very little gain tho.

If I was to buy a new reg is go with the GLA stainless.

My advice on any regulator is buy mid-high price range. I don't like the idea of running a $20 China reg on a bottle that's pushing 500-1000psi of pressure into it.
I have visions of it flying around my house or blowing through my fish tank and cabinet haha [emoji23]

Aquatek Premium with cool touch solenoid, 24 oz Valken paint ball tank, paintball adaptor. Entry level equipment.
Next month the reg with be in use for 3 years. No end of tank dumps. Fine needle is VERY sensitive...you can go from 1 bps to 5 bps with the SLIGHTEST nudge of the fine needle knob.
The bubble counter and check valve that came with it are made with not so durable plastic.
Overall, I like it.

Aquatek mini .....but I concur with fresh2o. Takes a minute to dial in but im very happy overall. I cant justify spending more when it works.

Do you have needle valves? They are s pretty important part of the step down.

Both of these regulators have them built in. Thats pretty standard.

Aquatek Premium with cool touch solenoid, 24 oz Valken paint ball tank, paintball adaptor. Entry level equipment.
Next month the reg with be in use for 3 years. No end of tank dumps. Fine needle is VERY sensitive...you can go from 1 bps to 5 bps with the SLIGHTEST nudge of the fine needle knob.
The bubble counter and check valve that came with it are made with not so durable plastic.
Overall, I like it.

So that is the same one I have. Here has been my issue with it, and its happened twice...

I come to check on my tanks... No CO2 is bubbling. I assume the tank is empty, but its not. I start adjusting knobs to get flow and back to 1bps. Wait for 5 min and make sure its good. Go about my day... Come back a few hours later to find the CO2 blasting into my tank, dead fish, and snails escaping water. Thankfully this is a plant tank mostly, so only lost a few tetras, nothing major. But none the less, this is not acceptable performance, since I am piecing together a nice system for my 75gal. I feel like I need to buy the GLA one just for piece of mind, but wanted more opinions.

That seems like an issue of defective equipment. I'm assuming that the blasting is over the course of a few hours.

I've gassed my tank twice, each time because I left it on overnight. I was using limewood at the time, and the flow would progressively increase over time. Each time I did it, though, there were survivors.

Fortunately it was not the tank with snails. I lurb snails.

But here's my question- what is happening that's changing the flow? What kind of diffuser do you have? Limewood, for example, and some ceramic discs release more gas as time goes on. Something about carbonic acid and water pressure.

I would look at your diffuser before you look at your regulator.

But here's my question- what is happening that's changing the flow? What kind of diffuser do you have? Limewood, for example, and some ceramic discs release more gas as time goes on. Something about carbonic acid and water pressure.

I would look at your diffuser before you look at your regulator.

I use a basic atomizer from amazon. Similar to THIS one. Never thought it could be a diffuser issue. It always seems to work fine. How often do these things need to be replaced?

My mini is touchy. I have to barely move it barely move it barely move it till I get it where I want. I have about 3 feet of line so I have to also remember as I adjust it takes a minute to get there lol. I run mine 24/7 holds count well.

Back
Top Bottom