Reletively new fish owner, any and all advice is appreciated!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TryingMyBest

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello to everyone, since spring 2010 I've been the owner of 7 goldfish! Sadly, only two are still with us, and I've joined your forum in hopes of keeping it that way as long as possible.

I guess I should explain about the ones that didn't make it. Last spring, I decided to toss a few cheap goldfish in my mother's 100 gallon rain water barrel to munch on any of the mosquito larvae that usually plague it. Originally I had four in there, and they seemed to do fine for a week or two, but as time went on I come out to give them their daily feeding and find that one was floating at the top, and then another a few weeks later. Then, following a rainstorm, a third one turned up missing, leaving one survivor out of the original four.

I had hoped all four of them would be just fine so long as I kept the water air-rated, but as the other three hadn't made it, I expected the lone survivor to pass no matter what I did. So I just kept feeding him and checking on him to try and keep him alive as long as possible, and to my delight he actually hung in there right on up to summer! It was at this point that my mom thought the heat would finally do him in, so I got him a cheap 10 gallon tank, fished him out of the barrel and put him in a proper home. He'd grown from a little over an inch long to about three, maybe three and a half inches.

I didn't want to leave him in there alone though, so I got a couple of fancier goldfish to keep him company. Unfortunately, the guy who told me the three of them would be ok in a 10 gallon tank forgot to mention how meticulously I'd have to keep an eye on the conditions for the fish to keep them healthy. It was only later in the fall when the smallest one, a black moor, took ill and died that I started nitpicking over their health. Now I check ammonia levels regularly, and take notice of anything that's out of the ordinary.

So that's my story, if anyone has any thoughts or advice for me (other than get a bigger tank for them, I'm saving up for that) please feel free to shoot me a private message or respond here, I'd value any ideas that keep my little friends alive!

You mention that you are checking ammonia, but are you checking nitrItes and nitrAtes? Both of these are detrimental to fish health. Also, what are you using to check your water chemistry? Test strips are notoriously inaccurate. More info about your set-up (i.e: pump type and size, fish size, deco, etc...) would be helpful.

I'm not running an air pump, I do have one but the fish seem to do ok for the most part so long as I keep the ammonia in check. What I do have to keep the oxygen levels up is the filter pump and an aquatic plant at opposite ends of the tank. The only time the fish seem to engage in what I'm told is called piping is for an hour or so in the morning right around dawn, and I've taken to getting up just before dawn to turn on a plant light to jump start oxygen production from the plant, seeing as my windows are faced away from the sun in the morning.

As for the fish, one's about three inches long and the other is about half that size. I have a picture of the setup here for you, which is probably more descriptive than I can be.

img_1617505_0_fda4d575c6f92c2e77235ab6eb415fd2.jpg

The logs are right in the center of the tank, so there's room for the fish to swim in front and in back of them. I'm honestly not sure if it seems crowded or not, but the fish will happily swim laps around the outer portions of the tank and then swim in the logs and rest for a bit before swimming around some more.

Hi there, Trying, and welcome to the AA forum! :welcome: You have come to the right place for advice, encouragement, and information about fish. I have not had any goldfish since I was a teen, and that was many long years ago, but I can give some tips on fishkeeping, in general. First of all, you may want to check out some great articles on water quality, and how to keep it healthy for your fish:http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...started-check-out-these-resources-154837.html.

Second, on this forum, most hobbyists recommend using the API Master Freshwater liquid test kit, because, as you will find when you read those articles, you need to keep track of not only ammonia, but also nitrite (NO2) and nitrate (NO3). And you will learn in the articles how to keep all these under control. As someone mentioned earlier, goldfish are very polluting fish because they have no stomach, and they must eat so much. That is what makes them a bit labor intensive to care for, but you have done so well, so far, that I know you can continue, with just a little more education. You certainly have proved your dedication to the little ones.

So read on, and enjoy your goldies.

Back
Top Bottom