Remodeling tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Freddie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, after some thinking ive decided to change both my 55s to sand. this is for the sake of the eel in one tank, & the dojo loaches in the other. So id just to like a few simple questions: which sand is best? How do I go about changing the substrate (ive heard you change out half at first, then the other half l8er but I wanted to make sure)?

Freddie said:
Hi, after some thinking ive decided to change both my 55s to sand. this is for the sake of the eel in one tank, & the dojo loaches in the other. So id just to like a few simple questions: which sand is best? How do I go about changing the substrate (ive heard you change out half at first, then the other half l8er but I wanted to make sure)?

Depends on your color preference. Some cheap options that work great would be pool filter sand, or play sand you can get at any home improvement store if you like whiter sand. I use black diamond blasting sand. It's only 8 bucks for 50 pounds. It's safe for aquariums, there's a few people here that use it. Just make sure you rinse it out really good before you use it. Some bags are worse than others as far as dust and difficulty of cleaning. Tool me roughly a half hour to do 50 lbs. pool filter and play sand on the other hand will come a lot cleaner and doesn't require as much rinsing. And that stuff is pretty cheap too. Under 10 bucks I think. And as far as changing I did mine all at once when I switched. I never had any ammo or nitrite spikes.

Depends on your color preference. Some cheap options that work great would be pool filter sand, or play sand you can get at any home improvement store if you like whiter sand. I use black diamond blasting sand. It's only 8 bucks for 50 pounds. It's safe for aquariums, there's a few people here that use it. Just make sure you rinse it out really good before you use it. Some bags are worse than others as far as dust and difficulty of cleaning. Tool me roughly a half hour to do 50 lbs. pool filter and play sand on the other hand will come a lot cleaner and doesn't require as much rinsing. And that stuff is pretty cheap too. Under 10 bucks I think. And as far as changing I did mine all at once when I switched. I never had any ammo or nitrite spikes.

I agree I changed from gravel to pfs about a month ago and I did it all at once too....and no spikes here either

Back
Top Bottom