removed air bubbler, good or bad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bman

Aquarium Advice Freak
20 gallon long planted moderately.

NO CO2 injection, just excel daily.

I have a hob filter that puts minor aeration in tank.

I recently added a piece of driftwood that was competing for it's space and lost.

I have been reading here that the air bubbler is just for "looks". I guess I will see if that is true.

Anyone else done the same?

You do not need the bubbler. Your HOB will provide all the surface agitation you will need to aerate the tank.

I run my 10g and 55 without a bubbler of any kind, no ill effects seen sofar.

It shouldnt make a huge difference, but if by some off chance you see fish gasping at the surface, you should know what the reason for that is.

The bubbler will provide extra surface agitation. Since you aren't injecting CO2, it will actually help to maintain CO2 levels at their ambient levels. You're HOB may be agitating the surface enough on it's own that you don't need the extra agitation, but the bubbler certainly wouldn't hurt.

FWIW, I have a bubbler and always did. It was directly due to my having a low-light tank and recieving recommendations as purrbox mentions. I have never lacked for CO2 using this method. Well, I do have a canister rather than an HOB but I can spin the spray bar if needed to hit the surface thus creating the HOB effect.

I have a 30G hex tank that seems to benefit from the circulation produced by my long air stone along one wall. I am not sure it's necessary, especially since I just started with my DIY CO2 system (working great, by the way). I will be experimenting with the air off and on.

DocOc said:
I have a 30G hex tank that seems to benefit from the circulation produced by my long air stone along one wall. I am not sure it's necessary, especially since I just started with my DIY CO2 system (working great, by the way). I will be experimenting with the air off and on.

if you are injecting CO2, an air bubbler will just release it all back into the amosphere, negating the entire (or close to) process

Back
Top Bottom