Removing a holding female, tricks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigMac

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Quick question, I haven't had to do it yet but.......
I know how hard it is to net these guys. I recently regimes a fish and it took me 40 minutes to catch him, even after I removed all my rock work! The only trick is to catch them when they come up to eat. But, a holding female doesn't eat, so do you have any tricks or tips on how to catch a holding female to put in its ow tank? I'm afraid that when that day comes it will cause a ton of stress.

Use two nets or have someone help with the second net then I hold the female over a breeding net and open her mouth with an empty bic pen the clear plastic one and she spits right into the net then I drop her back in

Turn the light's out for a while and make sure the room is dark so they slow down and get ready to sleep/relax. This way you wont have to dismantle your tank. Dont worry about it spooking them as i have done this with my wilds many times over and they have been fine. Just keep the lights off when you re introduce the female, keeps her calm.

Back
Top Bottom