Removing unwanted fish in a heavily planted tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

schoeplein

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was going to post this to the general section, but felt it more specific to planted tanks.

Catching anything in my tank seems like an effort in futility without uprooting plants.

I have four rather large pearl danios that I would like to replace, as they're gluttonous jerks that like to suck in all the food I drop into the tank. I'd like to increase the number of my other danios (longfin blue, leopard, zebra).

Are there any clever methods of capture that I haven't thought of?

My LFS are willing to trade them in for equal store credit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I was going to post this to the general section, but felt it more specific to planted tanks.

Catching anything in my tank seems like an effort in futility without uprooting plants.

I have four rather large pearl danios that I would like to replace, as they're gluttonous jerks that like to suck in all the food I drop into the tank. I'd like to increase the number of my other danios (longfin blue, leopard, zebra).

Are there any clever methods of capture that I haven't thought of?

My LFS are willing to trade them in for equal store credit.

I struggle to catch my cherry barbs at all. Considered using a large siphon and sucking them up haha they get that annoying. Whatever tactic you find I'm interested in.

Diana Walstad's book mentions having some moss covered bricks on one end and slipping in a divider to pin them in a less planted spot ... Can't see this being practical in all tanks.

What about catching them while eating? I imagine you've already tried.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Two nets sometimes works. Or try a clear jar or container and herd them into that. I used to catch fish with just a specimen cup at work. I don't like to net them if I don't have to.

Keep calm and move gently. Freaking them out makes fast fish impossible to catch. Get under them if you can.

There are plans for fish traps online as well.

Last edited:
Try putting food in a bottle or jar and wait for them to swim in then cover the end? If they are that greedy I am sure they will go for it?!

I agree with the bottle. You could also feed with a net several inches under them and slowly sweep up XD

One thing you can try is leaving the net in the water, just hanging there, for a day. Then the next day just feed right next to/ above the net and when they try to eat just net them. Once they forget the net is dangerous they are easy to catch.

This is an aggravating chore!! I had to remove my plants on one end of the tank, then I had to create a barrier to keep them on that side once I got them over there ,..after I had 'em hemmed up it was pretty easy...

I've got a 65g tank that's 24" tall, and my floor is nearly covered with a tonnnn of plants. Hence my original inquiry...

Danios are a pita to catch.. net them while feeding or suck them up with a big hose if possible..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Do you feed them at the surface or in the middle of the water column? You can try a number of things but after the net has been left in the water for a while they tend to forget about it. You could even try to put a piece of large food into a glass jar with a small opening in the lid. They can get in but not easily out!

Here are some ideas: Catching Aquarium Fish

I made a small fish trap with water bottles. Cut the lid part off and turn it back into the bottom part of the bottle Like a funnel. Add a couple of pieces of tape to hold it in place. Poke a few small holes in bottle close to the front so water can get in and air out so it will sink. Add food. Sink to the bottom in tank and wait. Fish swim in but can't get out too easily. Lift bottle out and dump fish into another container and do it again. Do not feed fish for a day or two and they will swarm the trap like crazy. After a couple of times they get wary of the trap. Remove, wait a day and do it again. They forget fast. I catch my young mollies this way.

I also have tons of corys and neons. My dwarf gourami I'm not concerned about as they wouldn't fit in a trap. I also have several other danios I'd rather not catch. But I guess it's a lot easier to pick and choose from a smaller container. ;)

I'll see if I can enact some of these options this week. I'd really like these guys out of my tank...

Back
Top Bottom