Replace gravel with sand during cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Logankwolf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello I have a ten gallon tank that is almost cometary cycled. The nitrites are just really high but that's it. I want to replace my gravel with aquarium sand since I would like to get pandas. Is this dangerous to the cycle and would it mess it up? Also how would I do it if I can without completely tearing the tank apart?

If your nitrites are high then your tank is not yet completely cycled.

Any changes you want to make to your aquarium might be better off being done before you actually add fish, so i would take advantage of this time. I would go ahead and replace your substrate with sand if thats what you wish. I dont think it would mess up too much in terms of your cycle, most of your beneficial bacteria should be growing in your filter (depending on what you have).

However, you might need to delay your tank another week or so if you do decide to change your substrate.

Replacing your substrate will destroy a lot of the already established bacteria in your tank, it holds as much bacteria as the filter (depending on size of tank) probably reset most of your progress. However now would be the time to do it before you finish the cycle in your tank and add more fish.

Over a 4 week span I converted my 55 from sand to eco complete and kept the fish in the tank taking a quarter of my sand out at a time...ur tank is hardly cycled and has no fish in it, change it and be done with it....if u wanna help move the cycle along go to your lfs and ask for one bioball from there filter let it float aroubd in ur tank and in a business week (5day) ur set...IMO

So get sand and one of those moss ball things?

Moss balls will also speed the process...im talking about the balls that are in the filter...i call them bio balls bc in the filter that is what holds most of the bio load

Back
Top Bottom