replace old hood or add leds??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chris96m

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
JBJ 12 led ugrade questions

I have the old Jbj 12g hood that only was one 24 watt bulb(actinic). I just dont feel like that will be enough light to support corals plus it is just way too much blue lol.

Question is should I just replace the old hood and buy the new 12g dx model that comes with 2 24watts and led moonlight or just upgrade the hood i have with leds?

looking to try and conserve funds on this part of the project if possible but you cant have a beautiful nano tank without good lighting, so any suggestions appreciated.

Last edited:
Honestly unless you get the 12DX hood for free or basically free, get the LEDs. I have the DX and LEDs are my next upgrade right now.. you can upgrade with DIY for ~ 150$ dimmable..

what would be a good led strip to add that would fit and not cause any heat issues?

Checkout ecoxotic.com
1 panaroma pro & 1 stunner strip will cover anythnig pre SPS & 1 more stunner will get you into SPS level.

i have been looking at the ecoxotics i have came up with three choices to choose from need any help i can get making a decision.

1.-Leave the one 24 watt pc and add a panorama strip along with the pc

2. Strip out the stock pc bulb and guts and replace with one panorama strip and 2 stunner strips

3. Gut the hood and add this led kit
JBJ NANOCUBE 12 GALLON DX/LED BALLAST LED 36 WATT NANO DIY AQUARIUM LIGHT | eBay

which one of these options would be the most cost effective and able to provide the best for a reef?

honestly either get the ecoxotics with stunners(& dual dimmers so you can change the color the way you want) or go with a kit from rapidLED.com that has multiple dimmers that you can plug into a controller. the manual dimmers are nice if you want the most basic version though.

i decided to order a new replacement hood considering mine is one of the oldest jbj hoods u can find. once the new hood arrives i plan on adding a panorama strip to the stock pcs to help add some light for corals. the only reason i went with a new hood is the defects in my current hood all the hinges and brackets are broken, holes in the plastic from previous owner just thought a new hood would add to the overall appearance of the tank

Back
Top Bottom