Replace trim or paint?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jesse W

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I soon will be setting up my 75G and I'm
Not a fan of the oak. The support in the center is cracked but is repaired very well and have no doubt in it's ability to stay sturdy (my father was a very handy guy and always did his repairs the right way) However my question to you guys is have any of you had experience with both? Is it more worth it to replace or simply paint the trim? (Never have done either and don't wanna screw my tank up) Opinions appreciated! :)

I agree ... Wood trim just doesn't do it for me either. If it's a functional trim, painting with aquarium safe paint sounds like the way to go.

I used Krylon Fusion Satin Black, to paint 3 tanks in the last 2 weeks. The trim as well as the back. No need to waste so much tape masking off any areas you dont want painted as this paint will come right off with a razor blade. I used 2 strips of 2 inch masking tape under the trim and still had a little overspray in between. Comes right off with a blade.

I highly recommend completely sealing off the top of the tank though, you don't want paint on the inside of the tank at all.

Also, new trim runs about $15 and $15 shipping. And about $5 for a tube of GE 1 silicon. Including the hassle of having to remove existing trim AND silicon, then re-silicon and trim the tank. And tank down-time while the silicon sets.

VS.

~$4 for a can of paint and ~$2 for a roll of tape. Maybe 1-2 hours of down-time as this paint dries extremely fast.

Unless you insist on re-trimming the tank.. paint is by far the wallet and time friendly alternative :D

DoubleA said:
I used Krylon Fusion Satin Black, to paint 3 tanks in the last 2 weeks. The trim as well as the back. No need to waste so much tape masking off any areas you dont want painted as this paint will come right off with a razor blade. I used 2 strips of 2 inch masking tape under the trim and still had a little overspray in between. Comes right off with a blade.

I highly recommend completely sealing off the top of the tank though, you don't want paint on the inside of the tank at all.

Also, new trim runs about $15 and $15 shipping. Also the hassle of having to remove existing trim AND silicon, then re-silicon and trim the tank.

VS.

~$4 for a can of paint and ~$2 for a roll of tape

Unless you insist on re-trimming the tank.. paint is the wallet-friendly alternative :D

Thank you! That's gives me a little more confidence in going the paint route. Did you paint the top of the trim? Or the center brace if your tank had one? I would cover it up underneath but still worried as those are closer to the water.

Jesse W said:
Yeah, just nervous about masking enough so I don't get any paint on the glass.

Just tape it up real good like I did. Paint will come off super easy as well with a razor blade.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120720_124337.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120720_124337.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 162
No, I do not paint, nor would I suggest painting the center brace, or the top of the trim. The center brace should be concealed by a light or tank hood and already black. I can't say I've ever seen a center brace done up to match the trim.... You don't want the paint to come into contact with the water. And the top of the trim should already be black. If it's not, and also painted to look like oak, then just gently scrap the stuff off the top with a razor blade held at an almost 90 degree angle (Straight up and down so as not to gouge the plastic). A few passes should take it right off, exposing the black plastic underneath.

DoubleA said:
No, I do not paint, nor would I suggest painting the center brace, or the top of the trim. The center brace should be concealed by a light or tank hood and already black. I can't say I've ever seen a center brace done up to match the trim.... You don't want the paint to come into contact with the water. And the top of the trim should already be black. If it's not, and also painted to look like oak, then just gently scrap the stuff off the top with a razor blade held at an almost 90 degree angle (Straight up and down so as not to gouge the plastic). A few passes should take it right off, exposing the black plastic underneath.

Ok thanks, what I figured and what common sense told me. The top trim isn't black or oak, it's just brown and it doesn't seem like there is an layer of black underneath. I was hoping the whole tank was black underneath and I could acetone to take off the oak finish, all that did was expose the same brown that's on top.

Is this repair safe? It is a medal strip and bolts that is holding on. There is just build up from calcium in the water. The bolts seem long enough so that they may be in the water. If I cut them shorter would they be safe?

Attachments

• image-2528884870.jpg
    image-2528884870.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 92
I know there was fish living in it with this repair at one point. I'm just not sure for how long.

Back
Top Bottom