Replacing regular 125 with 150 w/dual overflows -

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mcflied

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Everyone! I've had a 125 gallon freshwater tank for the last 4 years and I am getting it replaced under warranty so I have the option of going to a larger/different tank and paying the difference. So I'm thinking about going to the 150 with dual overflows built in (Aqueon). I have a Fluval FX5 currently. From what I have researched, the Fluval FX5 would have to go if using dual overflows. Eventually I do want to do a saltwater tank, but can't right now because of the cost of all the equipment and materials.

So I am thinking of going to the 150 gallon and selling the FX5 and using that money towards a sump that will work great for a saltwater tank and good for a freshwater tank as well. I was looking at the Eshopps r-300 as a good sump and will buy two eheim 3000 pumps for this.

I wanted to know your thoughts to make sure what I am thinking makes sense to do or not. Or should I just be getting a freshwater sump and wait to get a saltwater sump when I am ready to switch?

Thanks in advance. :popcorn:

-mcflied

Now I'm thinking I should sell the fluval fx5 and just go for an Eshopps wet dry filter 300 and stick to freshwater for now for the 150 with dual overflows. Using two eheim 3000's for return pumps.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You could make your own sump for alot cheaper and use that saved money to get something sweet!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would love to make my own wet/dry sump except I want to make sure it doesn't leak and I don't trust my own design to do so.

How much would it cost to make my own? Any idea? I want it to be of good quality and last a long time.

-mcflied

It's not hard. I'm pricing my 55 gallon sump on a 125 gallon build I'm doing this winter and it came out to around 130 dollars and that's me rounding up on everything. I'm waiting til petco's dollar per gallon sell to come back around in a few months too.

Hi Everyone! I've had a 125 gallon freshwater tank for the last 4 years and I am getting it replaced under warranty so I have the option of going to a larger/different tank and paying the difference. So I'm thinking about going to the 150 with dual overflows built in (Aqueon). I have a Fluval FX5 currently. From what I have researched, the Fluval FX5 would have to go if using dual overflows. Eventually I do want to do a saltwater tank, but can't right now because of the cost of all the equipment and materials.

So I am thinking of going to the 150 gallon and selling the FX5 and using that money towards a sump that will work great for a saltwater tank and good for a freshwater tank as well. I was looking at the Eshopps r-300 as a good sump and will buy two eheim 3000 pumps for this.

I wanted to know your thoughts to make sure what I am thinking makes sense to do or not. Or should I just be getting a freshwater sump and wait to get a saltwater sump when I am ready to switch?

Thanks in advance. :popcorn:

-mcflied
I'd jump to 180, I really like the FX but I'm not into salt water

You could make your own sump for alot cheaper and use that saved money to get something sweet!!!

I would love to make my own wet/dry sump except I want to make sure it doesn't leak and I don't trust my own design to do so.

How much would it cost to make my own? Any idea? I want it to be of good quality and last a long time.

-mcflied

It's not hard. I'm pricing my 55 gallon sump on a 125 gallon build I'm doing this winter and it came out to around 130 dollars and that's me rounding up on everything. I'm waiting til petco's dollar per gallon sell to come back around in a few months too.

I'd make ur own sump just get like a 29g tank and some good caulk. An Aqueon sump kit is like $400.

Back
Top Bottom