Request for Suggestions, please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Magicmarymac

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have made some poor decisions recently and am hoping to fix the situation this weekend. I am going to be restarting a 20L due to a stand disaster, and since I purchased a double metal stand I am adding a 29. These two tanks are going to be planted and possibly dirted.

Question 1: Fish-in or Fish-less?
Do I choose to cycle fish-less and dirted, leaving them in the 36 for the duration? or Do I choose to cycle fish-in because they are crowded in the 36, risking their lives putting them in uncycled tanks?

Question 2: Filtration for the new tanks?
I have:
3 Aquaclear/Fluval 30 HOB, two with sponge pre-filters, they were on the almost cycled 20L but are now dried out
1 HydroSponge 2, also dried out

Re the 36 Gallon Bow Front
1 Marineland Emperor HOB (cycled, could be moved)
1 Marineland Penguin HOB (cycled, could be moved)
2 Aquaclear powerheads with Quickfilters (fairly new)
1 Eheim canister (not yet set up)
PWC 50% weekly
Planted
Ammonia .1 ~
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20~
PH 7.4-7.6

Stock, currently in the 36, 117%
2 BNP
9 Pygmy Cory
7 Harlequin Rasbora
5 Rummynose Tetra
5 Aeneus Cory
Some Assassins
Some rather large Ghost shrimp

My initial stocking thoughts are:

20L
5 Aenus Cory
5 Rummynose

29 Gallon
9 Pygmy Cory
7 Harlequin Rasbora

36 Cycled
2 BNP
Ghost Shrimp
2 Angels (once all this is done)

I am hoping to discuss lighting later.

:thanks:

I would do a fish less cycle and keep the fish where they are for now, although crowded a couple weeks won't hurt, then add slowly. As for dirted, I would pass and just go with a good plant substrate unless you really know exactly what you want to plant and where, in dirted tanks if you decide to move something the dirt makes it really difficult, more suited towards a planted tank in the hands of experience.

I would do a fish less cycle and keep the fish where they are for now, although crowded a couple weeks won't hurt, then add slowly. As for dirted, I would pass and just go with a good plant substrate unless you really know exactly what you want to plant and where, in dirted tanks if you decide to move something the dirt makes it really difficult, more suited towards a planted tank in the hands of experience.

Thank you.

As for dirted, I would pass and just go with a good plant substrate unless you really know exactly what you want to plant and where, in dirted tanks if you decide to move something the dirt makes it really difficult, more suited towards a planted tank in the hands of experience.

I tried this in a 15g tank. I used 2 kinds of aquarium soil/substrate- the base was about 2 inches of the finer (richer) substrate, covered by about an inch of the more granular substrate.

The plants loved it, but what a pain!!! Tank maintenance became almost impossible. Whether I was taking water out or putting water in, it stirred up the dirt. Cories snuffling about stirred up the dirt. Me, trying to thin out the rapidly growing jungle, stirred up the dirt. I ended up transferring the fish and throwing the soil in the garden. All in all a very expensive mistake.

the Marineland Emperor HOB holds 2 cartridge's does it not? i would just take one out that has alot of bacteria on it, cut the floss stuff off and put it in one of the aquaclear filters for the 20L, then do a fish-in and you should have a fairly quick cycle.

a good amount of substrate from the cycled tank will also help considerably

I tried this in a 15g tank. I used 2 kinds of aquarium soil/substrate- the base was about 2 inches of the finer (richer) substrate, covered by about an inch of the more granular substrate.

The plants loved it, but what a pain!!! Tank maintenance became almost impossible. Whether I was taking water out or putting water in, it stirred up the dirt. Cories snuffling about stirred up the dirt. Me, trying to thin out the rapidly growing jungle, stirred up the dirt. I ended up transferring the fish and throwing the soil in the garden. All in all a very expensive mistake.

Wow, sounds like a mess! Thanks.

the Marineland Emperor HOB holds 2 cartridge's does it not? i would just take one out that has alot of bacteria on it, cut the floss stuff off and put it in one of the aquaclear filters for the 20L, then do a fish-in and you should have a fairly quick cycle.

a good amount of substrate from the cycled tank will also help considerably

Yes it does, thank you for the suggestion.

Update: Good News!

The double metal stand arrived with two incomplete welds, so I am returning it.

image-5994568.jpg

What's good about that, you ask?

Well I got smart and changed my plan completely and just bought a 46 with stand. I will return the 20L.

Time to get to work!

image-3390263499.jpg

Thanks for your help!

Back
Top Bottom