Requirements for FROGBIT!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

busterrox

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I would like to know what I need to have, to have thriving Amazon Frogbit?
A list of required conditions.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395195998.774678.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395196027.540021.jpg
The frogbit I have know is dying, actions are being taken to save it, but I fear it is to late. So I would like to know how to do it right the second time around.

All Accurate Info Appreciated!

Buster~

Also is my fish load to low I have 4 neon tetra and 4 upside down catfish? Should I add a goldfish to add some waste for the plants

I wouldn't add a goldfish, try adding other community fish to your stock. Is your tank cycled? What are your ammo. Nitrite and nitrate parameters, that should tell you if fish waste is available for plants to use.

Are you dosing other ferts? Tell us about your lights again too.

What would you recommend to go with neon tetra and upside down catfish

To measure nitrogen cycle parameters and ph you would have to buy a liquid test kit and follow the instructions. I'm no expert stocking wise, whats your total tank volume? First of all I would recomend increasing the neon school to 7-8 at least. Then Research fish you like and see if the are compatible with your current setup. If you post a new thread in the starting a tank section members are readily available to help with stock planning.

Just a little info. Be careful keeping upside down catfish with neon tetras. The upside downs might nip at their tails. Just keep an eye on them. I am pretty sure upside down catfish need at least a 15 gallon tank. They do get about 3-4 inches at adult size and are very social fish; they are best kept in schools of 6+. They like cave type structures to hide from the light during the day; they are nocturnal so feed them at lights out.
Neon tetras are also very a very social, best kept in groups of around 8+. They like bushy type plants to hide in.

Adding more fish to add nutrients for the plants isn't a good way to go. As Andresdeo said, using fertilizers will help your plants. They require micro nutrients and also three macros which are phosphate, nitrate and potassium. You can buy dry fertilizers and mix them yourself which is what most people do because it is less expensive or you can buy premixed bottles at a LFS.

I hope this helps.

Frogbit is a nutrient hog and actually uses a lot of nitrates. You need to get an API Master Test Kit so you can take readings. Are your other plants real or plastic? Most likely if you had a good amount of frogbit and it began dying off is due to lack of nutrients. Try getting an using Flourish Comprehensive weekly or bi-weekly as directed and see if that helps.

I don't suggest using fish to increase the nitrate levels. You can look online and check out ebay to get some good prices on API Master Test Kits and Flourish Comprehensive.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom