Rescape Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RadMax8

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok guys, I need some professional help (you know what I mean). I came back from vacation and my scape is a little out of hand. I know that my aquascaping skills are amateur at best. Here's the proof: ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419947230.306822.jpg

I feel like my swords are too big. I love the look of them but three is too many. I might take the best sword and put it on the far left. All the anubius nana is going to go, as well. I've got two groups of Bacopa in the back which need trimmed. I've also got cyperus helferi to the left of the driftwood.

I'm receiving some pogo erectus, AR mini, and star repens tomorrow. Any advice??

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm hardly a professional but the first move I made when I started going insane was rehome my massive ozelot sword. It was a beauty but simply demanded far to much space. That's a 29?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Whoops, yeah forgot to mention that. This is a 29 gal with CO2 and an Ecoxotic E-series up top.

I'm willing to add other plants, but I don't want anything that is super high maintenance.

IMO, I would definitely reduce the number of swords. They take up lot of space and create large shadowy areas. Which would be fine for crypts.
Clear out some space in front for the AR mini and Star repens. I like the groups next to each other for the contrast. Clear out space along the back for the pogo. They will be short at first but will grow. Allow ample room for each stem and room for future trimmings. The individual stems can get quite wide. Looks better if you stagger the stems rather than have them directly in front of one another.
Same applies for the bacopa. Trim them down; the are very hardy and fast growing.
Maybe put the base of the cyperus helferi behind the driftwood? Or maybe in the corner. The height of the plant makes me want to move it back. Plus, having the plant appear from behind hardscape or foreground plants looks more natural for some reason.

Haha. I remember when I had a wall of swords. The swords took over my tank basically. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420006138.038751.jpg

You could create one area for the swords. A corner would be the best, and you could put shadow-loving plants near those swords. Green wendtii would look nice.

Edit: I agree with Fresh2o though. If you keep any swords, keep one or two.

Whoa, how big was that tank? Certainly impressive!

I'm going to take two swords out, one for my other tank and maybe try to get rid of one in the classified section. That'll leave me with one which I can put in the left rear corner. Lots of space will open up on the right and I can start to fill it in with some of my new stem plants and get my cyperus helferi over there.

Whoa, how big was that tank? Certainly impressive!

I'm going to take two swords out, one for my other tank and maybe try to get rid of one in the classified section. That'll leave me with one which I can put in the left rear corner. Lots of space will open up on the right and I can start to fill it in with some of my new stem plants and get my cyperus helferi over there.

That was in my 30 gallon long. My tank right now looks so much different.

Back
Top Bottom