Rescape/dwarf sag question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigQFan

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am planning a rescape in a few weeks and I have a few questions. I am planning on putting most of the same plants back in, along with same filter and hopefully at least 1/2 the same tank water. Will I need to go thru a cycle again?
Secondly, I have a fairly nice bit of dwarf sag in there. I want to keep it but maybe spread it out a little more for better ground cover. Do I snip the runners completely off near the root? Will they begin to shoot off runners again?

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You will not need to cycle again. Just keep your filter media wet and all the bacteria should survive.

As far as snipping the dwarf sag, that's exactly how to do it. Cut the runner and move the plant where you wish. It should develop new runners and it will fill in.

Good luck on the rescape!

Thanks muchos

dwarf sag is like bulletproof ime. I have tortured this plant and really can't kill it in my tank. It grows to quickly I actually ended up removing it all (almost 500 individual plants, sold all of it).

i would suggest trimming the roots before replants to stimulate growth and provide easier time with replanting. Also trim older leaves with yellowing at the base. Any leaves with any algae should be discarded too.

You can literally cut all of the leaves on right down near the base and it will still send up new leaves and grow just as good as ever, so don't be shy.

good luck and post pics when your done.

Thanks for the tips. It's gonna be awhile before I get this project done. This was the first tank I was ever somewhat successful in growing plants in so I was just sticking whatever I thought would grow in there and hoping for the best. I really didn't put much thought into the "scape" itself. It's a dirted tank and it's time for a new layer of miracle gro so I'm gonna take my time and really try to make this look nice.
I appreciate all the encouragement

Back
Top Bottom