Rescued Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Talvari

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Now before everyone gets up in arms about the term 'rescued', I did not pay for this guy. I took him home from a bad situation and have since been working hard to get him healthy again. Let me tell you a bit about Odi, and then you can decide if it was a rescue or not.

First thing in the morning when I turn on the lights: "Do I HAVE to get up?"

img_2072438_0_7faa17031a735647d5d50f991b43268f.jpg

As most of you probably know by now, I work at a pet store, in the fish department. I do my best with what I have given to me, and I like to think that I make a big difference in the day to day lives of the fish under my care just by taking extra time to clean tanks, feed them thoroughly so that everyone gets their share, taking out and quarantining sick fish, etc. I enjoy my job for the most part, and enjoy teaching people about the hobby and helping them get on the right track. I can only do so much, however, because it is a corporate company and they have their own way of doing things.

So here is Odi's story. One day a woman comes in and decides that she wants a goldfish for a quarter gallon bowl. I must have spent half an hour with her telling her that's not a good idea and the only way that I managed to convince her not to do a goldfish may have been me exaggerating how bad the bowl will smell unless daily water changes were done. She decided she didn't want to deal with that much work.

On to betta fish. I tried to get her to buy a 2.5 gallon glass top aquarium since it was only $14 - im sure most of you know what one Im talking about- but this was "too expensive" and she ignored my warnings that the tank she had was too small, etc. She got irritated with me rather quickly when I tried going over water changes and stuff, repeatedly telling me that it was too much work for "just a stupid fish" and she'd just "get another one if it dies". She picked up a small half moon male and left for the register. Unfortunately, I'm really not allowed to do much if someone really decides to get a fish and ignores my warnings. The best I can really do is void their receipt so that at the very least, they cant keep getting replacements if their fish dies, which I did immediately.

A few weeks later, the woman comes back in, bowl in hand. She immediately goes on a tirade about how we sell sick fish and how shes never coming back. She storms off, leaving this little bowl and a -what I thought- dead betta on the bottom of the tank.

I look a little closer. The smell is disgusting. The water is brown. There is a good layer of poop and left over food at the bottom. And then the little betta, who was, in fact, still alive. His breathing was shallow. He was thin. His fins were shredded- if I had not known better I would have thought he was supposed to be a juvenile crowntail.

Immediately concerned for the poor little guy, I found one of our old "display" tanks - only a half gallon, but the only thing I could really use at that point in time. I cleaned it out, put fresh water with some stress coat in there, and then, after a bit of acclimation, moved the little guy over.

He hung in there for a bout a week without much improvement. I did daily water changes. We tried getting him to eat. There wasn't much else we could do- technically, we weren't supposed to have him at all. We don't take fish unless they are returns. At this point, at least he was moving. At least he was eating a pellet or two, but it was obvious he wasn't thriving. His fins, if possible, were worse. They were down to stubs. He had small patches of ammonia burn around his face.

After having him around on our podium - to keep a better eye on him and to ensure that people remember to give him water changes and such- for, I think, two weeks at this point, our manager finally said he needed to go. We weren't supposed to have him up there and it looked bad having a sick fish for everyone to view.

Around this same time, I lost my halfmoon, Phineas, who looked very similar to this little guy. After determining there was nothing wrong with my 10 gallon, I decided to take the little guy home.

I really thought he was going to die. No fins. No appetite. Pretty bad ammonia burn around his face. Lethargic. But to my surprise, he has bounced back nicely. He eats now and actually has a full, round belly - flakes and a treat of bloodworms/brine shrimp twice a week, plus fasting on the weekends. The 10 gallon gets water changes done every 10 days. He still has long moments of inactivity (he loves to lay in the hornwort) but he is getting stronger every day, and swims just a little more as the days go by. Best parts- his ammonia burns are nearly gone, and his fins are nearly twice the length they were. So here is Odi (since he was on our pODIum), in all his glory.

img_2072438_1_1cdb9a4fd802ee7551b2fdbf542bfe00.jpg

Yeah, hes got three African dwarf frogs and a baby gold nugget pleco (less than an inch long, so cute) that Im trying to grow out a bit before he goes in my 46 gallon. He has the entire top portion of the tank to himself, though, since no one else ventures up there for more than a few seconds. He doesn't even take notice of anyone else, and they leave him alone.

Yeah, that is awesome. I am glad odi made it.

Concerning the lady, why would anyone buy a pet when you don't want to do the work to keep it healthy!?! "I can just buy another?" That's terrible:eek:

We get that a lot, unfortunately. People want a pet, just don't want the responsibility that goes along with it. Why get any animal if you aren't going to feed it/ house it/ clean it/ care for it properly? I don't care if its a dog, cat, ferret, lizard, horse, fish.... If you brought it home to be cared for by you, you took that animals life into your own hands and you better do right by it, or don't bother getting it. If the best you can do is not enough to care for the animal properly, then don't get a pet. Period.

Sorry, rant. I feel strongly on the subject.

The other excuse I hate is the "but my kid really wants it" when it comes to the fish. The parent only wants to get like a two gallon tank, so the only thing I suggest is a betta fish. "But my kid really wants a ...." So? There is this wonderful, MAGICAL word called "no". If you wanted a dog, but only live in a small apartment... you would never consider getting a St Bernard (I hope) and would only think about getting small breed dogs. Why would you do anything different for a fish?

Side Note: Sorry guys. I personally would prefer to put a betta in at least 3+ gallons in a heater, but if its a choice of putting a goldfish or a bala shark in anything smaller than a 5 gallon tank, or a betta... Im going to suggest the betta fish. If I can even convince someone to put a betta in a 1 gallon bowl over the 1/4 gallon bowl... I'm going to convince them to put the fish in the largest tank they are willing to go.

Yeah. When I was 6 I only had a 5 gallon tank. I wanted bala sharks. Really bad. But my mom said no. She said they needed a bigger tank. It was sad, but I got over it. I got guppies instead. They were still fun to watch.

Aww! I'm so glad you rescued that fish. I agree with everything mentioned above. I would love to work on a fish shop, but I would probably get fired because I dont make any sales lol.

Thanks, lol. I just felt so bad for him. He looked so miserable.

This is his tank... I recently stripped all the fake plants out of it and have been slowly adding in live plants. Back left, hornwort ( I stretched it out into lengths and at the very center, wrapped a plant weight around it in a ring. Then I added a second weight to the first one in another ring. I buried the second ring and left the first poking out of the sand. That way its still anchored, but it wont rot!). Back right, java fern. Front and center, anubias. A little to the back of the driftwood, more java fern.

The tank looks empty, but the betta is in the anubias up front, the African dwarf frogs are hiding under the java fern in the back (almost on top of each other) and the little baby pleco is behind the driftwood.

img_2075864_0_d7f57ef5f20ec663bb8e73330dfd115f.jpg

Wow, congrats on saving him! Looks like he really bounced back and he's beautiful! His tank looks awesome too, btw!!

very nice. Both the tank and story!

I've thought about getting a job at the local pet store but am not sure if I could manage. I think I would really hate having my hands tied. The local store just had a fight with higher ups in the chain because they wanted to remove 1/4 of their tanks and turn them into reptile housing. They mostly lost but managed to keep some tanks.

Its kind of a toss up. Yes, its frustrating that your hands are tied by that specific stores policies, and yes, its REALLY frustrating when you have customers who just don't care.... But its also nice to know that you can ensure that the animals under your care are healthy as possible, and that you can give people the correct information regarding stocking, maintenance, etc, even if they don't listen.

After two years, I am really burnt out of retail. Im tired of the stupid policy changes that might look good to the higher ups, but make no sense in practice. Im tired of people blaming me for their fishes death when they are the ones that went against my advice. Im tired of not getting paid well enough for my time, my knowledge, and my hard work. I will probably be putting this job on the back burner for awhile, only working a night or two a week (partially because Id miss some of my co workers, and of course the animals, but mostly cause of my discount...) and start a full time day job.

Anyways... Ill try to keep you guys updated on his progress. I really can't wait to see what color he ends up (his body had been whitish pink, his fins a pale red... now his body is a vibrant pink and his fins are almost a purplish red) or how big his fins will get. Like I said earlier, they are already more than double the size they were before.

Yay! I woke up this morning, turned on the lights, and found a bubble nest! A tiny one... and its kind of... shall we say...'special'... But hes trying!

Almost a month since his last photo-.. Figured Id show an updated shot. Other then tweaking the lighting a bit because of some super bright highlights, this is him in all his glory.

img_2098867_0_651ed3b7b464a8d10d751841de1cbcd8.jpg

Aw, awesome story! I teared up a bit. :) I wish there were more like you working with fish in retail stores. Some good Karma coming your way for sure.

Back
Top Bottom