Reseal Gone Wrong

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitzo77

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey! So about a month or two ago I picked up an old 45 gallon aquarium from somebody who was throwing it away. The tank was in pretty horrible condition and seemed to have rarely been cleaned. Both of the filters that it came with were filled with muck and the bottom of the tank had about an inch of water, but i could not see through it.
After cleaning out the tank, I saw that the silicone was worn down in some areas and peeling in others, so I scraped off all the old silicone that I could with a razor blade and resealed with DAP 100% window and door sealant and allowed it to cure for two weeks. Yesterday I filled the tank up a little bit and let it sit, to see if it was alright. Today the silicone that is under the water is white and puffy, and when I poke it, it peels off just from a poke.
Any advice would be helpful since this is my first try on resealing.
IMG_7152.jpg

Thank you!

You will have to get all that DAP stuff out of there . Clean the glass with a razor blade and keep cleaning . Use vinegar to clean where old DAP was . When you think it is clean , clean it again...lol Get some GE 1 clear silicone from Home Depot or Lowes . Use masking tape and layout the area beside the joints . Caulk , use a finger or the back of a spoon to smooth it out , let set a minute and remove tape . Gives you nice sharp edges . Search online for how to's , there are a ton .

You will have to get all that DAP stuff out of there . Clean the glass with a razor blade and keep cleaning . Use vinegar to clean where old DAP was . When you think it is clean , clean it again...lol Get some GE 1 clear silicone from Home Depot or Lowes . Use masking tape and layout the area beside the joints . Caulk , use a finger or the back of a spoon to smooth it out , let set a minute and remove tape . Gives you nice sharp edges . Search online for how to's , there are a ton .

Thank you so much! I'll do that!

Hah! You've done it alright!
Key advice, when it looks clean, clean it again!

+1 on all advice so far. Silicone will NOT stick to silicone so it has to be clean clean clean. I did this last fall and had to do it twice as I didn't clean the old silicone off good enough. Had 20% of the new silicone peal off after a couple days in water.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom