Restarting my 8G BioCube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crlomancer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
RIP Meta the Betta, 9/27/2017. Poor fish somehow managed to get wedged under a rock in the corner of the tank and we did not see it in time.

The former tank had a prolific Java Fern, which I plan to keep for the new tank. We also had a fairly significant algae problem. I basically had to scrub the whole tank weekly in order to prevent it from becoming a "forest" landscape. So, here's where we're at:
-Tank has been completely emptied, scrubbed out, and wiped down with vinegar
-Gravel in the tank has been thoroughly washed
-Water is back in the tank and some aquarium starter has been added

The one thing I didn't wash were the bioballs in the filter. I expect they've got some algae on them as well but I know there's a significant amount of good bacteria there and didn't want to completely eradicate it if possible. I've cleaned the Java fern as best I can (rubbing algae gently off leaves, giving it a good rinse afterwards) but I want to do everything I possibly can to ensure a successful launch to the tank. So, here are my questions for all you super aquarium pros :)

1) Anything I can do to sterilize the Java fern so it doesn't quickly spread algae? I'm guessing there's still a significant algae presence in the roots that I can't eliminate.
2) When should I reintroduce the plant into the tank?
3) My test kit arrives on Monday. How do I pass the time so I don't freak out with anticipation? (My budget ran out last time before I got to the test kit)

Thank you!

Edit: on my phone and starting to read cycling stuff. Hope I haven't messed anything up too bad. My daughter was traumatized at the passing of her fish. So many tears! I was in a bit of a frenzy to get things started and show her some progress.

Well, if my decision-making skills are any indication, I shouldn't own fish.

My test kit arrived today and I bought - wait for it - the reef master kit. Yup. I was like "Why am I testing for water hardness? Shouldn't there be a pH test in here? How come there's only a test for nitrate instead of ammonia and nitrite?" And there are no returns. Maybe someone on LetGo will have mercy on me.

Looks like I can't edit my message anymore.

So uh... anyone in the Seattle area want to buy a reef test kit? :D

Back
Top Bottom