Restocking- need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HannahJo

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have decided to give up my goldfish and plecos and replace with something different. The tank is a 72 gallon. I do have a baby turtle (4 inch red eared slider) in there. He (or she- we dont really know) has been very easy going with everybody whos in there now. I realize he will get big and possibly start to take an interest in eating his tank mates- we'll cross that bridge if it comes. Anyways- I want to get a school of tetras. I really would like to put another type of fish in there- maybe just 1 to 3 of something. What can live peacefully with tetras? I really like discus or angel- is that a possibility? Also, what is a good number of tetras to get?

DO NOT GET DISCUS! Your turtle has a super huge bioload and your water quality isnt pristine. if you have discus you realize your buying a 60$ fish that can be eaten by a turtle right? Discus need perfect water quality and require very specific water parameters. I would also say no to angels because the turtle will nip the fins. You could get a large school of cardinal or neon tetras.

How many

You could get like 25 cardinal tetras and 10 female guppies and 2-3 male guppies and they will produce babies that your turtle can eat. But I would just buy like 40 cardinal tetras that way you could have a giant school of them!

Ok so no discus or angel. Definately want the tetras. Is there any other bigger type fish (that I could have 1 or 2 of) that would get along ok in there?

Bigger fish

You could try a pair of convict cichlids maybe? Or a jack dempsey make sure they won't eat the tetras though and make sure they aren slower than the turtle.

What is your filtration and water parameters like? And I assume the tank is only partially filled to provide a basking area for the turtle? You’ll need to take that into account when thinking about fish stocking.

I’ve never had a red eared slider or a turtle at all, but I’ve read in other posts that they’re really good hunters so really do your research on this one. Between potential water quality issues (turtles are known messy creatures!) and potentially getting eaten most fish might have a tough time in there as the turtle grows.

Maybe consider something agile, inexpensive and live bearing like the guppies? Some will get eaten, but they’ll just keep breeding! Big schools of tetras sound like expensive turtle snacks to me...

What is your filtration and water parameters like? And I assume the tank is only partially filled to provide a basking area for the turtle? You’ll need to take that into account when thinking about fish stocking.

I’ve never had a red eared slider or a turtle at all, but I’ve read in other posts that they’re really good hunters so really do your research on this one. Between potential water quality issues (turtles are known messy creatures!) and potentially getting eaten most fish might have a tough time in there as the turtle grows.

Maybe consider something agile, inexpensive and live bearing like the guppies? Some will get eaten, but they’ll just keep breeding! Big schools of tetras sound like expensive turtle snacks to me...

Right so I currently have a sponge running and a small waterfall. I am putting a 2nd sponge in this week which will ramp up the filtration to 2X + the waterfall (which I think is rated for 20 gallon). Parameters are always ok when I test water. Tank is actually almost full- Id say waterline is approximately 3 inches from the top. Turtle has a floating dock so we can fill the tank pretty much however full we want.
Yes I have heard they are messy but maybe I'm not experiencing a ton of this since the turtle is still very small in a big tank? We've had gups in there before but he showed no interest in them. So far he leaves everybody alone.
The more I look into this and hear from everybody- I'm seriously considering getting the turtle his own tank so I can have just a fish community in my 72.....

Switching gears!

Ok now I'm considering getting a new tank just for the turtle! He's 4 inches now and I know they get big- but I was thinking of putting him in something like a 40 gallon for now and sizing up as he grows. That way I can have just a fish community in the 72.

Probably for the best if it’s an option. 2x filtration isn’t much for a turtle. I overfilter by more than that just for tetras.

I'm going to play devils advocate here. But I have a question too, is there a reason you went with a sponge filter instead of a regular internal filter which would give you better filtration for a turtle with *roughly* the same footprint?
If you are starting to think of a second tank why not use the new one as your community tank and leave the turtle in the 72g as I can pretty much guarantee it will grow into it. Add an internal filter to the turtle tank, move the sponge to the community tank. If you add a big enough internal in the 72g you can probably move the waterfall/HOB to the community tank too

I'm going to play devils advocate here. But I have a question too, is there a reason you went with a sponge filter instead of a regular internal filter which would give you better filtration for a turtle with *roughly* the same footprint?
If you are starting to think of a second tank why not use the new one as your community tank and leave the turtle in the 72g as I can pretty much guarantee it will grow into it. Add an internal filter to the turtle tank, move the sponge to the community tank. If you add a big enough internal in the 72g you can probably move the waterfall/HOB to the community tank too
We went with a sponge because that's what our fish shop guy recomended. Granted, he's a fish guy not a turtle guy. He has told us the turtle will be messy and has recomended not having fish with him (he recomended guppies). So now with hearing from everybody here- definately want to seperate turtle.
I know he will grow into the 72 but honestly I think that tank is beautiful and would rather have it showcased with fishies. I think getting him a bit smaller tank for now is what I'll do!

I’ve never heard of using sponge filters for large tanks or turtles. It kinda seems to me a bit questionable advice. A powerful HOB / maybe a power head would keep the tank debris much lower which seems a no brainer for a turtle tank...

Either way it sounds like separating them is a good idea for now. The turtle may be a baby now but they eat fish and he’s only going to get better at hunting fish as he grows up not to mention the messiness factor.

Turtle moved!

Ok so today I moved my turtle man to a 40 gallon tub. I've seen a ton of people use tubs amd bins and since he's going to outgrow it anyway why not try out this cheap alternative to a tank. Plus- way easier to clean! So he's all set up in my sons room, since technically its "his" turtle, and doing well. I'll post pics. Now I'm ready to get my big bow front revamped! Doing a big clean on it later on tonight- can't wait to get new decor and new fishy babes!
120025-albums14818-picture72570.jpg

120025-albums14818-picture72569.jpg

The bin is certainly a decent alternative ro a tank for a turtle. I would still recommend looking at an internal filter in place of the sponge. Go to YouTube and watch some videos on the Fluval U series filters, as you already have an AquaClear filter you are familiar with the brand. I would switch out the inserts for filter floss and maybe carbon but that's about all

I restocked with some platies and tetras. I have 2 BN plecos in there still- decided to keep those stinkers. Turtle man is getting a new tank this summer! So excited for him to move out so I can fully utilize for fishies. I have a spongey running and an internal filter and ofcourse heater. Checking my parameters often. Bought some LED lights but probably wont use until turtle is out (he has 2 lights above his dock that light up tank pretty well). Also excited to put in gravel or sand or something- don't have any now too afraid it'll be hard to keep clean with turtle!

Once turtle is out I want to get rid of spongey. Would it make sense to run 2 of the internal filters? One on each side of tank looks kind of cool. Is it possible to OVER filter a tank? With both going it would be 2X filtration.

Back
Top Bottom