Retrying SAPs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lovecatfish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well, I once tried south American puffers, back then when I had a 10gal. I have a planted 20long now, it has 8rummy nose tetras, 4chain loaches and a oto cat. I was thinking if I could do a SAP in the tank without any problems. After reading many articles online, I see that they are more docile compared to other puffers, what do y'all think about adding a single SAP to this system?

Sent from my LG-P880 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've heard most all dwarf puffers do best in a species only tank/by themselves.. I'd add some grinds for the oto, they get lonely by themselves:(

I agree that South American puffers can be community safe given that the tank mates are not slow moving

Well. I got the puffer and now he is pacing and exploring the tank. I dropped some bloodworms. But he didn't seem to be interested, rather, he tried to crush a small piece of driftwood. He is quite skinny. A flat belly, and yet he is not eating :( I intend to try dried krill. You think it will help?

I always give my fish a day or two to get comfortable with a tank before worrying about whether or not they're eating. See if your local store sells live food - I'm sure he'd love that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What can stimulate him to eat?? Bloodworms still not working... will krill stimulate? Its quite expensive. I don't want to buy it I find out it doesn't work...

Time is really the only thing that will make him comfortable enough to concern himself with eating. I wouldn't drop anything else into the tank until tomorrow. Feel free to try the krill then.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would try snails and ghost shrimp. I'd also maybe PM Terrance here on AA as he's very knowledgeable about puffers. A SA puffer in a 20L community sounds very hit or miss, but keep us updated on how it's working out!

I'll try ghost shrimp then.

OMG! Thanks! Ghost shrimp got him eating! Thanks! Thank you very much :) :) :)

The leftover of his meal. And the puffer himself :)

Attachments

• 1400224719105.jpg
    1400224719105.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 51
  • 1400224731269.jpg
    1400224731269.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 48
Back
Top Bottom