Returning to SW, need some advise on set-up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KDLutz32963

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi All,
I am new to this site and have alot of questions about setting up a FOLR system...
Years ago I had a 40+ Gal SW and then a 20 Gal SW. Both were fairly easy to maintain. Both had Marineland bio-wheels. Recently I have decided to return to SW as a hobby. For start up equipment I have a 27 gal hexagon tank, a magnum 350 canister filter, and a 2-light fluorscent fixture with one 15 W fluorscent 18,000 K Power-Glo bulb. I see alot of new products on the market and I would like advice on where to go from here. I want a FOLR tank with 3 or 4 fish, maybe a yellow tang, a clown and some damsels. Any advice would be appreciated. Here are some Qs:
1) I want to get a protein skimmer and LR (in lieu of using the canister for filtration) but I am not sure on how to set up a protein skimmer with a hex tank. The tank has a DIY wood hood which I guess can be modified to accomodate a HOT skimmer. Does anyone have experience with setting up a skimmer for a hex tank? Can it be housed in the cabinet below or does it have to be attached directly to the outside of the tank? Can you recommend a particular skimmer?
2) Same for the power head... any kind in particular to easily use on a hex tank?
3) What additional lighting might be needed in additon to the power-glo bulb? Can the balast be replaced on a light fixture as only one of the light outlets is functional.
Hope you can help!

Welcome to AA!

A tang is out of the question in such a small tank.

Water changes, your bio wheel and enough live rock will be adequate filtration on a 27g tank. 1.5-2lbs per gallon on the LR. You are going to be very limited on the fish you can keep with this tank. You could get away with a pair of clowns and maybe one other fish (a shrimp goby or something similar). A skimmer really isn't that important on a small tank as long as you do regular PWCs (I suggest weekly) and have some other form of filtration. As for water flow you can look into a Korallia Nano or two. If you are going FOWLR then lighting isn't all that imporant either it is more for your viewing pleasure.

Thanks. Was really wanting a yellow Tang again. What is the recommended tank size for a tang and one clown? Maybe I will go with alarger tank.

For a yellow tang I would not suggest anything smaller then 75g. The yellow tang tends to do better then most others in smaller systems but still needs at least a 4' tank.

I agree with the tang. Needs a much bigger tank. I also agree that a skimmer for that size tank is not needed. PWC`s and LR and your bio wheel is all that`s needed.

Back
Top Bottom