Revamping 20gal!! Need inspiration!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lexis009

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I want to redo my tank as mentioned, I would like to have an iwagumi-like look, but with smooth and flat rocks I found at a local creek....any ideas or perhaps additions? Any ideas are welcome! :brows:

Any plans yet on substrate? Are there any specific plants you definitely want to incorporate? Are you planning high light and CO2 injection?

Well, I have black stones, and also black sand but I could change that if it doesn't look right, I want to make a miniature tree with java moss on one of the rocks, there is a beautiful picture of one floating around the interwebs. I am also shopping for lights as well, I can't decide between led or bulbs. This will be my first planted tank so no co2, trying to start relatively simple so I don't get overwhelmed :)

I really like LEDs - I have gone exclusively to LED lighting for FW and SW applications. T5HOs are good lights as well however.

I prefer black substrate in a planted tank. I think that it will look nice.

When you start your scape, keep the hardscape in odd numbers, and remember the golden ratio and resist the urge to keep things symmetric or centered. Triangular compositions turn out nicely, and keeping the focal point of the hardscape at either 1/3 from the left or right usually leads to a pleasing scape. It is amazing how big a difference those things, though subtle, can make to your final outcome.

Ok, thank you so much for your help! Sorry I haven't replied I got swamped with exams and assignments, anyway I decided to go with a simple strip light since it was more in my price range, it is really bright and I am happy with it. I'm pH testing the rocks now to make sure that it doesn't drop my tank water anymore, the water supply is 8.0 here! Once I get around to it I think I'll try to put more wood in there than I planned, just to bring the pH down a bit. Do you think the plants will suffer at that range?

Back
Top Bottom