Reverse Osmosis vs. Tap Water (?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquafreak

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've started my salt water aquarium with tap water and some live rocks. I am cycling it for 2 months. How important are water changes (adding water should be fine)? But others seem to think that water without nutrients is better to keep algae down... which is better? Will the less desirable algae overgrow the coraline since it is more prevalent? I'm running about 165 watts of lighting for a 110 gallon tank -- what I could afford for now.

Sorry... is it better to filter the water with a Reverse Osmosis pump?

yes ro units are alot better than tap no doubt on that !! but so you knows its not a pump you water pressure from the tap is all it uses :)
also yes algae will take over you coralline !

Tap water can have all sorts of nasty stuff in it that you don't want in your tank. Chlorine, chloramine, pesticides, phosphate, nitrate, ect... An RO/DI unit will remove all this and leave pure water. The effect of some of these is cumulative...water evaporates from the tank leaving all the nasties behind. This is the biggest reason that water changes are recommended. Every time you do a water change, you are diluting the pollution in the tank. Using RO water cuts down on the pollution as well. Keeping nutrient levels down will help with the undesirable algae. And, yes, the bad algae will take over if you let it.

I'll be away for the next 2 months. Is this too long to wait? I wanted to cycle while I was away.

Back
Top Bottom