Revised tank ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leek86

Aquarium Advice Activist
After thinking and looking at pictures of fish and such.

I went to a fish store today about 20miles from home and was looking around at the fish while selecting a new piece of drift wood and it helped me decide on what id like.

I think Id be better skipping the bn pleco rather than risking it.
New stocking idea consists of

6-7 rummynose tetra
4-5 lamp eye killis (Aplocheilichthys normani)
3-4 Sparkling gourami
4ish panda corys
Maybe a few assassin snails and shrimp

I chose all small fish hoping it would make things more peaceful and since smaller fish hopefully allow more small fish rather than fewer larger fish.

Im thinking anubias and java fern tied to the DW, maybe even a little moss of somekind, A marimo ball or 2, Dwarf hair grass or dwarf sag scattered around and maybe a small species of crypts in the back of the tank behind the DW.

Ive decided to go with silica sand for substrate, and will be dosing ferts and some form of carbon, though not sure if it will be pressurised co2 or excel.

So after Telling you all this, I have some questions:

Is the stocking ok?
Whats a good small crypt?
Which colour/color sand would you go for, these are my main options (Cosmetic Sand | Buy Cosmetic Sand Online) Also Would I go fine or coarse sand?

Thanks in advance

That stock sounds okay , take the schools down to 6 and the Gouramis to 3. Also do Pygmy Cories , you could do 6 of those. I would do pandas but they wouldn't be that active in that size tank and not that many of them.

Hmm not sure I like the idea of pygmys, I wanted corys because I wanted a cute lil bottom dweller, and I know pygmys like to roam about rather than stay near the bottom

Well I just don't know weather they might need bigger schools, plus they need pristine water. I have them and I have to do 2-3 water changes a week.

Should be going to get my sand maybe tomorrow or at the weekend.
How much would I need for a tank this size, and which grain size should I go for?

They do a "fine" which says 1-2mm in size, and "coarse" which says 2-3mm in size.
Bearing in mind its for planting and will have cory's, which would be better?

Back
Top Bottom