Ridiculous Nitrites and Nitrates tank cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaNewb

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am cycling a tank fishless, and it processes ammonia very well, very quickly.

However, this nitrites and nitrates are so high they are off the charts. I have been performing 40% water changes daily to attempt to reduce them but nothing.

Today, I changed 70% of water and they are still off the charts. So, after the water change I diluted the water to 3% tank water, and re-tested. It looks as if my nitrites could now be between 2-5, though possibly more than 5, i can't tell the difference between the purples. Regardless, it took time to change and didn't immediately change to deep purple. The nitrates read 20ppm.

There is NO nitrite OR nitrate in the tap.

Anyways, this would bring my reading to >500ppm nitrate before the 70% change, and 150-300ppm nitrite before the change, and still after large daily water changes.

Does the presence of nitrate in such high number mean my tank has finished cycling and that I simply have added too large of a dead shrimp in the tank? (too much ammonia produced, 10 gallons)

Ammonia is 0-0.25 without dilution.

Sounds like you're short a few million nitrite munchin' bacteria. I've never personally had this happen, but it seems more prevalent in fishless cycling. The cycle isn't finished yet. That nitrite needs to hit zero. It is supposed to spike, that is what feeds the bacteria. That nitrite should drop. Patience is key.
Nitrate is a good sign.... but you're not quite there yet.

Eliminate variables: make sure your test kit isn't expired, all your test tubes are clean, don't use test strips, they're less accurate.

I am cycling a tank fishless, and it processes ammonia very well, very quickly.

However, this nitrites and nitrates are so high they are off the charts. I have been performing 40% water changes daily to attempt to reduce them but nothing.

Today, I changed 70% of water and they are still off the charts. So, after the water change I diluted the water to 3% tank water, and re-tested. It looks as if my nitrites could now be between 2-5, though possibly more than 5, i can't tell the difference between the purples. Regardless, it took time to change and didn't immediately change to deep purple. The nitrates read 20ppm.

There is NO nitrite OR nitrate in the tap.

Anyways, this would bring my reading to >500ppm nitrate before the 70% change, and 150-300ppm nitrite before the change, and still after large daily water changes.

Does the presence of nitrate in such high number mean my tank has finished cycling and that I simply have added too large of a dead shrimp in the tank? (too much ammonia produced, 10 gallons)

Ammonia is 0-0.25 without dilution.

Sounds normal to me. You can expect the nitrate phase to take up to 4weeks to finish at least.

Back
Top Bottom