RightTurnClyde's 29 Gallon Build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yep it's pearling. I find that excel does not usually cause pearling. In your case probably a combination of trimming the plant and a water change. New water often contains an abundance of gases including oxygen. When there is sufficient oxygen saturation in the water, any oxygen produced by the plants will not dissolve into solution and get released in a gas form (bubbles). Also, cuts and damaged leaves are a convenient way for oxygen to leave the plant.
See if the pearling repeats itself tomorrow and the next few days. If not then it might be related to the water change. If so, then cool. Either way, pearling or not, the plants look very healthy in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Another update. After boiling my new piece of driftwood and then soaking it for a week, I've put it in the tank! I moved the AR mini around a bit to make some room. Now I know why hardscapes are generally planned out and done FIRST! Looking good, but I'm not really happy with the orientation. I need to find a way to make more room and rotate it a little more so you can see the "branches" from the front.

As a side note, I accidentally siphoned up one of my Green Tigers while I was doing the water change. They were all attacking the tube as I was moving it around. Poor guy was floating around sideways in the bucket. I really thought he was dead, but I netted him back into the tank and he seems to be OK now, just really freaked out and hiding in the corner. I hope he didn't suffer any permanent damage. :(

Full tank shot:
ayU7lOWl.jpg

From the side that you probably should be viewing it:
wgRDY4Ql.jpg

Looks good! I see what you are saying about the DW. If you cannot turn it 90 degrees counter clockwise, them perhaps you can turn it at least 45 degrees. You may have to move it back a bit.
In the past I've put extra filter intake tubes (with the screen) on the end of the siphon hose to prevent fish from getting sucked up. Nowadays, I have so few fish that it is not an issue.

Thanks Fresh. I should be able to rotate it at least 45 degrees. It's just that I felt like I was messing around in the tank too long and stirring up too much junk, so I had to call it a day and get the filter going again. I think I'll be able to just reach in and move it tonight. The injured fish seems to be a little more out in the open this morning so I think he's recovering.

BTW, the AR mini is starting to look pretty good in the new growth at the top. Nice, smooth leaves. Once I'm happy with their location I need to give them some root tabs. And you were right about that Bacopa! I think they are all at least an inch taller already.

Post an updated pic when you can.
Glad the AR mini is looking good for you. Mine looks like crap. Only 1 in about 10 stems has decent leaves. Even the ones I threw outside (some are growing out of the water) look better than what's in the planted tank. I hope they flourish for you so that you can carry the AR mini torch Old Scales (AA member) had carried as he set out to make this plant highly available this side of the pond.

My OS mini lives on! It has too..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I always referred to OS as the "Johnny Appleseed of AR mini". Along with the AR mini, I also got Ammania bonsai which has grown into a forest. He sent a third plant but it arrived looking like green paste.

I feel I have failed him. "Go on! Go on <cough-cough> without me!"

I always referred to OS as the "Johnny Appleseed of AR mini". Along with the AR mini, I also got Ammania bonsai which has grown into a forest. He sent a third plant but it arrived looking like green paste.

I feel I have failed him. "Go on! Go on <cough-cough> without me!"

I like it!! I too have the amania Forrest taking hold,.the mini fissedens he sent are growing, just a BGA magnet.. the pogo erectus was a mess when I got it.. fresh has provided a nice back up though!

Somebody say pogo erectus. My ears were burning lol. Throw away tonnes of the stuff every month :(

Somebody say pogo erectus. My ears were burning lol. Throw away tonnes of the stuff every month :(

Noooooooo!!!!! I only say that because they are big and healthy in your tank.
I do understand because I end up with excess plants and no outlet for them at times. Not the pogo. Still working on that.

Hmm... Is that an offer? Do I need research this so called "pogo"? Will it grow under a Finnex planted plus?

Hmm... Is that an offer? Do I need research this so called "pogo"? Will it grow under a Finnex planted plus?

Id happily ship to you but im in the UK and it doesnt make sense. If i lived in the states i wouldnt have the problem i do

Pogostemon erectus is the bright green plant along the back with fine needles:
8i7MsX3.png

This is an older pic. I have trimmed and replanted the taller stems. I have been babying the plant. It is typically grown and shipped emerged. During the transition to submerged growth it will experience some melt and die off. Sometimes up to 90% or more. Thus, I have seen this as an in demand plant. Some members have been shipping the aquatic form with success.

Thanks. That looks nice! Do the needles fall off a lot and get messy? I've already got enough mess on my hands with the Java moss.

Id happily ship to you but im in the UK and it doesnt make sense. If i lived in the states i wouldnt have the problem i do

Sorry to hear that. Until they finally invent a reliable instant transporter, I guess I'm out of luck. :)

Get the java moss out now... I'm so regretting ever introducing it. I have a piece of dw that has my mini fissedens tied on, after a month some microscopic sprig of java moss came up and now it's a big problem, it's popping up everywhere.. stuff is a plague in a high tech tank.. please heed this warning..

Thanks. That looks nice! Do the needles fall off a lot and get messy? I've already got enough mess on my hands with the Java moss.

They don't fall off like dying hornwort or a February Christmas tree. The entire plant just turns to mush.

Get the java moss out now... I'm so regretting ever introducing it. I have a piece of dw that has my mini fissedens tied on, after a month some microscopic sprig of java moss came up and now it's a big problem, it's popping up everywhere.. stuff is a plague in a high tech tank.. please heed this warning..

Haha... Thanks for the warning. I don't do high tech so I'm hoping to keep it under control. Like you said though, it's too late anyway. There are unseen pieces of it everywhere. I pull out any stray strands I can see when I do water changes.

Or you could be like me and somehow kill your java moss dead.

Brookster, where did you find mini fissidens? I hear that's a pretty sweet little moss...

Back
Top Bottom