RO/DI booster pump needed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ellisz

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been looking very hard at the Aquasafe RO/DI unit and the more I read, the more I wonder how my output will be.

The unit I have been looking at is a 75 GPD model. I know the water pressure on my outside hydrants is horrible. We are on city water and supposedly are at the legal minimum. I need to get a pressure tester to test inside pressure but thought I would see what you guys said :)

The TDS of my tap water is 131. Not good but I think not so bad. When we use the outside hose, it is hard to get a spray by putting your thumb over the outlet. I just wonder if a booster pump will even work? I tried using a gas powered pressure washer on my deck last year and it kept stopping since the water could not keep up.

So, do you think a booster pump is needed and will that solve any problems with RO output or will it still be bad?

Thanks

Alright, I just talked with a friend that lives in the same area and he thought we have about 25-30 psi. Will a booster pump help this or am I hosed.

I will say that the RO water I have been getting in town tested at 31 so this sucks too :(

I just wonder if the booster will work that well? The one aquasafe sells is rated at 50 gpd which is less than the RO unit.

Anyone using a booster?

I believe ReefRunner (Kevin) is using a booster pump. Perhaps he could shed some light on it as I have no idea...

I would say that you need the pump and it should work fine. My friend has one on his system because his pressure was low like yours. Low pressure will take longer to make water and it also effects the membrane life from what I've read. airwaterice.com sells them and they are great with customer service, aske them what they think.
If you have town/city water with a TDS of 131 that's good have you look into using Kold-Steril water instead? Cost more up front but will save you money in the long run. Up to 5000 gallons before you have to change filters. I use it on my FO tank and have not had any unwanted algae problems.
I still use a ro/di on my 125 reef..... Not ready to change that yet.

I had a booster pump on my system and it worked great. It was a 12 volt system that boost the pressure to 80psi. The problem I had that it didnt have a cut off system that would stop it when the tank is full. I would have to unplug it. One night I went to bed with it still connected and I bunned it up. I havent replaced it and now just use the house pressure. It works but after the 4 gal tank is empty it just trickles out.

Well, I bought an RO/DI last night on ebay. Did not think I would get it but I did. I was hoping to hear back from Aquasafe about there booster pumps but I bid anyway.

Anyone ever use the booster aqusafe sells? I ended up getting the 100GPD model but the booster is only rated at 50 GPD.

Snookface: I read somewhere on here that there is a way to set a pressure switch to turn the power off the booster pump. Could you put in on a timer?

Any more info on pumps would be great.

You need to get the pump that is for 100 pgd, they sell a switch that shuts off the pump when the bucket is full. I think its around $30 for the switch, worth the extra $$$$
Check around on the net for the pump for the 100 gpd units. I think airwaterice.com sells them.

Back
Top Bottom