ro/di question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

egon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i installed a 60g/d ro/di unit yesterday and was just wondering how long it usually takes for the output to reach its peak. i know that is runs slow at first until the membranes are hydrated, but how long does this usually take? it has been running for 12 hours now and i have only gotten 9 gallons of water. theinput pressure is 50lbs/in and i am unsure of the source water temp.

thanks in advance.

It does depend on source water temp. We're pretty far north, my 100gpd comes nowhere close, but my source water temp is somewhere around low 50s to high 40s. I got about that much out of my unit, though I'm assuming my water temps are colder. So, yeah, I forget the best operating temp, I think it's in the 70s, but our cold water temps will most certainly cut performance.

Agreed. With a low water temp and a lower than optimum pressure, you won't get 60 gpd. I'm on well water so it's pretty cold...I also have about 40-45lbs pressure and I get around 40gpd out of a 100gpd unit. You could probably up the output by installing a booster pump, but you have to ask yourself if the increased output would be worth what the pump will cost you. You could also install an inline heater such as a Fireplug, but again, would increasing the output be worth the initial cost? If your unit will satisfy your needs as is, I would probably leave it alone. When it's time to change the RO membrane, you can install a 100gpd membrane and get a bit more flow. JMHO.

Like has been said above. Dont underestimate water temperature. This weekend the ground water must have been a little warmer than it had been all winter as I made a 25gal trashcan full in just a few hours time compaired to what it was doing in the dead of winter.

thanks all,

i will contunue to monitor the output, seems to be better today, and decide at a later time if i want to make any adjustments to the setup.

Back
Top Bottom