RO/DI systems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Since you have a small tank, i would say the first one is probably a better buy for you. However, if you can find one that is around the same GPD, but a 5-stage, it would be more effective. But still, regardless of which one you buy, an RO/DI unit is definitely one of the best pieces of equipment you can have for a SW tank, so i would strongly advise buying one.

You also are going to want to look for one that has a standard faucet adapter, otherwise you will have to tap in to your water pipe to be able to use the unit, and for people who don't know plumbing, that could be bad. If you or a freind have tapped in to a water line before.. then i don't think it would really matter, but if not, having the RO/DI unit come with a faucet adapter will allow you to just screw the tubing in to a hose or regular faucet. This i found was the easiest method of using the RO/DI units. The first unit i bought had the "screw-in" faucet adapter, but the second one i bought my dad had to tap the piping. He knows plumbing so it wasn't a big deal.. but without him i would have been stuck.

It really shouldn't be a problem if you got one with a screw-on adapter, but if you got one that needs to be tapped in to the water line.. then the only thing i'm sure he'll be mad about (if he even does get mad), is the part where you will eventually have to completely replace the section of the pipe that you made a hole in to connect the unit to. But it's a good thing you bought one. Once your tank water has completely converted over to RO/DI, you will definitely see a decrease in algae, diatoms, and the nasties that tap water brings to the tank. Assuming you have all of those in the first place :p

I have the diatoms... but I buy my saltwater premade from the lfs...

I got the ro/di because I knew it would end up being cheaper in the long run.. I wouldnt have to haul water from the store... and I'd have more control over salinity and whatnot..

the part my husband will get angry about .. is the fact that Ive spent even more money on the tank.. oh boy if he only knew... eeek.

I got a 25gpd RO/DI unit for 6 tanks.

are you getting a holding tank for the water? my laundry room went from a sink, wash/dryer and fridge to all that plus a 45g holding tank, a 4g storage tank for the drinking water and the RO unit itself.

Mine went from a 200 dollar unit to a 1000 dollar complete set up.

lol.. mine is a portable countertop model... I'll probably use it every other week to make a 5 gallon bucket of saltwater that will probably last me 2 weeks... my water changes are 2.5 gallons for my 12 gallon nano... right now I'm still doing twice weekly water changes... but I'm hoping that will change soon. lol (im quite ocd about my water quality and obsessively testing.)

Thats nice to have smaller tanks, my biggest is a 52 but PWC day there are 6 tanks involved and I needed that extra holding.

stay away from those tap water filters those DI units, they absolutely suck construction wise and design wise, fyi for everyone!

I got my RODI cause I was not going to buy water from the LFS when I can buy a unit and make it myself for years to come cheaper.

My waste water goes into two rain barrels and then pumped from the basement to the gardens in the backyard.

stay away from those tap water filters those DI units, they absolutely suck construction wise and design wise, fyi for everyone!

what are you talking about here??? not the ro/di unit I just purchased? (link on first posting)

I got a 25gpd RO/DI unit for 6 tanks.
where did you find this and how much did it cost? trying to minimize the unit purchase because i dont want to waste 25 or 75g of water when i use it

it was under 200 bucks from aquariumplants.com it was a spectrepure.

well see, thats where I was wrong, every gallon this thing makes, 4 go down the drain, I am already shopping for a new RO/DI since I got a 210g tank last night a 25g per day wont cut it as well as the waste isnt cutting it.

they do make one that is a nice ratio for every 2 gallons of RO/DI produced only 1 gallon is wasted. in my head thats better then 4.

i only have a 20g tank so 25gpd would be perfect for me, seems the smaller the GPD the more expensive it gets

Back
Top Bottom