RO Filter question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mwrmma

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have an RO/DI filter that has been sitting for about 2 years. i am planning on replacing the sediment, carbon, and DI filters, but my question is do i NEED to replace the RO membrane? i know that i should test for TDS, but i dont have a meter. Since it is a membrane, i would think it should be ok, but would like some advice. i got out of SW a couple of years ago, and just ordered a 24 gallon nano cube, and cant wait to get back into this.

thanks,
Mike

I'm not an expert on this but sitting around for two years or so I think I would replace it.

Just test with Tds meter. They are fairly cheap. Membrane is probably fine if you didn't use it much. You will need a Tds meter anyways.

I'm the "Better safe than sorry" kinda person..... if it's been sitting in the canister for 2 years unused, there are possibly deposits on it that could've damaged the membrane. A TDS meter is cheap on Amazon, and that's the only way you'll truly know. But, IMO, the cost of a new membrane is far less than the headache that could ensue from being cheap now.......

You need the TDS meter anyway so why not get it now and see if your filters are still any good? However, if the RO/DI had been used and then set aside for that long, using them again is unwise without replacing all the filters including the membrane. I'm sure you are aware that stagnant water can develop toxic elements.

Back
Top Bottom