RO / Spring water question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkinnyPete

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was shopping around for a new or used 75 - 90 gallon setup when I realized that I have room for a 120 (wooo hooo!). Anyway, while I'm planning and setting up a budget to make sure I can afford everything, I listed a RO purifier as a must - but, then I realized that I have access to free spring water where I live. I get it in 5 gallon bottles.

Anyway, I'm wondering if I can use this spring water instead of buying a purifier. Can someone give me an idea what I would test this water for - other than chlorine and ammonia - just to see if it is usable? That would save me some cash as far as my initial costs go.

Thanks, guys and gals - I'm averaging 1-2 questions per day, so hopefully someday soon I can give some advice back.

- Petious, Skinnious

You can have your LFS test for TDS. Also check for PO4.
Spring water still may have some things in it that you don't want. I would still consider the RO/DI unit. It will pay for itself in time.

"Spring water" is ussually not a good choice. It is loaded with minerals and even some metals that you do not really want in your tank. It may be a bit better then regular tap waer, but RO/DI is highly prefered.

D'OOOOOHHH!

Okay, so looks like the RO/DI is back in the budget. I don't want to skimp on anything - I just thought that might save me some cash if I could use the spring.

Thanks as usual all.

Make sure to check back for my next exciting and mind stimulating question. :)

Its always nice to save some cash, but water quality is one area I would not try. :)

Make sure to check back for my next exciting and mind stimulating question.

Look forward to it. :wink:

just a question for whomever, im seting up a thirty gallon tank.
do i need r/o water if their will only be fish and live rock in the tank, or can i use r/o with corals as well.
thnks
let me no :fadein:

Back
Top Bottom