RO Water Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrlovesbio

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have decided to no longer buy premixed water from the shop in attempts to save money. The local supermarkets have refillable jug stations for drinking water. The questions I have are one, is that RO water? If it is, it it also DI water? and Two, is it suitable for reef settings to mix salt with? I am trying to find the most "clean" water and wondering if this is a good solution. Thanks in advance!
First time poster,
Melissa

PS: I apologize if this has been covered already, which I am sure it has, but I could not find it.

You are alright. The water you get at walmart or other stores is usually just RO water. It`s better than tap water but for about 100 dollars you can get a nice RO/DI unit. I`ve seen them on ebay.

melosu58 is right, best to get an RO/DI unit, I went an bought water from Walmart n supermarket machine, and I regret it... Also like Mark said it best, when you go and get water from LFS u just don't come out with water....look for group buy later for BRS

Ro/di unit was one of the best investments I made. We spend so much money on our setups so its important to put decent stuff in our tanks. Just doesn't make sense to put tap or regular ro water in it. DI does make a difference. Spend the $ and you won't regret it.

I picked up a 4 stage ro/di on www.purewaterclub.com (thanks again to carey for the site reccomendation) mine does 100gpd and it was only $65. Idk how big or how many tanks you have but for my 25 and 55 I figured a 100gpd would suffice for me. They also have larger ones if you need something larger.

Depending on the local water quality and care given to upkeep filters and such at Wal Mart and other retailers the water may be fine to use. However unless you have a very small tank it just isn't worth the long time cost and effort to continually use the store bought water. Best bet to avoid these (unless in pinch) and avoid any potential headaches and future trouble shooting and start with a known consistent product.

I have a Spectra Pure unit and have no issues with it at all. It seems that most forums I frequent the two main units recommended is either BRS or SpectraPure unit. I don't think I have ever come across negative comments about either.

I got a 5 stage off brs and its the best investment I ever made for my tanks not only do I make tank water I do not have to buy bottled water any more which was the selling point to the wife lol

So i am all set up now, RO/DI in 30 gal storage barrels,

Attachments

• image-31604257.jpg
    image-31604257.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 121
  • image-3584355100.jpg
    image-3584355100.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 148
  • image-382322872.jpg
    image-382322872.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 96
  • image-787394298.jpg
    image-787394298.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 101
Got a question if anyone can help, how do I go about measuring the water in the tank if I only want 10 or 15 gals? I am about to just transfer from my 5 gals bucket than to the 30 gal where I mix salt n water, I want to bypass that, just want to go straight from the RO barrel to the mixing one?

Got a question if anyone can help, how do I go about measuring the water in the tank if I only want 10 or 15 gals? I am about to just transfer from my 5 gals bucket than to the 30 gal where I mix salt n water, I want to bypass that, just want to go straight from the RO barrel to the mixing one?

Are you asking,"how do I make sure I only pull out 10 to 15 gallons?" I siphon into 5 gallon buckets to make sure I don't pull out more make up water than I have made up.

BTW, I'm very jealous of you guys who have the space to store RO water. I don't have the room to put up a barrel or Brute trash can and am limited to making 15 gallons (max) on demand which can sometimes take a while to draw the RO water, then I have to let it warm up this time of year.

To Rutrag
Well ye that's what I want to avoid if possible, I am producing up to 30 gals in the barrel than I just want to siphon from the barrel straight to the mixing barrel without the 5 gals jugs, just can't seen to have an idea how to measure or tell what is the amount left on either.

The best thing I can think of is when your mixing barrel is empty, use a five gallon bucket to "measure" the water line a 5 gallon increments in the barrel and just put a mark with a Sharpie or paint pen on the outside of the barrel.

I guess you could do the same thing when you siphon out of your display tank by putting some small tick marks on a back corner.

Rutrag said:
The best thing I can think of is when your mixing barrel is empty, use a five gallon bucket to "measure" the water line a 5 gallon increments in the barrel and just put a mark with a Sharpie or paint pen on the outside of the barrel.

I guess you could do the same thing when you siphon out of your display tank by putting some small tick marks on a back corner.

+1. This is how I did it. Just use 5 gallon jug that had markers on it and used sharpie on my tanks. Inconspicuous of course. Only have to do it once tho.

rafatoy said:
Ok I put a post it note to do that when empty, thanks

I would think you would want to do it with the tank full so you know how much you have taken out, no? I mean I guess it depends on which tank you are marking. The RO tank I would do when full so you know how much has been taken out and the mixing tank I would do empty so you know how much is in it.
Maybe you could also do like 5 gallon increments or 1 gallon increments to measure top offs or something.

OK now I have a question for the forum. I have a blue brute trash can for my RO and cqnt see through it. Also it is stored in a shower stall in one of my bathrooms, not ideal, but it works for now.
I can't see through it, can I mark the inside with something, permanent marker, or will that foul the water?

Back
Top Bottom