Rock flower anemones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok I have to ask you guys for some tips here. I've had a rock flower anemone sense Black Friday last year. It's pretty small actually at about the size of a nickel. It really doesn't seem to be doing well at all..it just seems to be existing. I've had it in the crevice of a small piece of rock this whole time and haven't really tried to feed it much. It gets full light exposure and is just off the sand bed. To me it doesn't seem healthy or growing anymore.

I just started semi broadcasting semi spot feeding corals with reef chili. I've been spot feeding different corals each time. Should I spot feed the anemone more? Maybe drop a mysis on it once a day?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Beej, i would definitely try the mysis and make sure it grabs some into its tenacles. I gently release some mysis right over top of mine using a pipette.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Autumn, Is that pompom crab in your sump?

No the little "flower" Pom guy is in the main tank, with the Chaeto (he happened to be on the Codium this morning). My light was broken for the refugium and I have been looking for a replacement for when I switch the tanks, so I moved the Chaeto into the main area to get light, where it has been MUCH happier! The Chaeto got light with the clamp light but not when I swtiched to the Fluval Nano Marine light, almost none.

Everything in the tank looks pretty good. The RFA was wide open and the Sexy Shrimp have been right in there (at least one and they all look alike so I can't yet tell the difference) every day!

The Sexy Shrimp, I thought would irritate the RFA, but it stays wide open and doesn't seem bothered by it.

The Hermit Crabs also walk around on it so I might need to rehome the bigger one which gets into everything. Maybe just get the little Hermits and as they grow up give them to a friend with a big tank and big other critters.

I have always liked the pompom crab but have not had any luck in keeping them in my tank. I havent tried them in a while so maybe i will give it another go. The sexy shrimps are nice to. They both have very nice markings. Hope you find a nice light for your fuge. I have gotten some nice small but powerful lights off of Amazon.

My RFA's are doing really good also. I really love them. They are so pretty. Good luck finding a light

Hey guys. I recently took on a reef tank for the first time pretty recently my tank is freshly cycled with live rock and has had 6 yellow tip hermits in it for the past week or so. Im interested in Rock flower anemones and wonder if I might be able to keep one. How mature would you say a tank should be before adding one?

I had some after about 3-6 months.

The feeding thing is that you don't have to, but I saw decline in mine when I didn't - maybe a correlation, maybe a tank issue.

I am planning on making sure I get some food for the filter feeders in the tank, I have been reading about how some critters like filter feeders only eat specific size particles of foods (Electric Flame Scallops specifically).

This was in response from the trying to get certain live pods for my little tank and most stores only having Tigger Pods (if any at all). Nems kinda grab what they can get. Not really a filter feeder but similar foods. I also recently read that the RFA will take in pods to eat. Don't really know yet.

The one huge, really frilly white pink one I used to have seemed like it was filtering to get things with all it's fringe.

60074-albums13960-picture68798.jpg

I had some with the live rock and sand from several months on.

Also Dallas, check the Petco off Colorado & I25 each week. A few months ago they had some. $14.99

Hey guys. I recently took on a reef tank for the first time pretty recently my tank is freshly cycled with live rock and has had 6 yellow tip hermits in it for the past week or so. Im interested in Rock flower anemones and wonder if I might be able to keep one. How mature would you say a tank should be before adding one?

I know with regular anemones you are suppose to wait at least 1 year before adding them. They like a well established tank. Im not sure if that is the same for rock flower anemones.

Maybe Sand dollar can chime im and give some advise on this. She has a lot of experience with rfa's.

In my experience RFAs are a little more forgiving than BTAs and other anemones. I think you may still want to give it at least 4-6 months if this is your first tank. If you are planning to add fish then I'd probably add those first and get your feeding and water change routine established. They do not like high nitrates so you want to make sure you are able to keep those in check. Once you've had fish for a while and able to keep some corals healthy then you'd be ready. I don't know if you've researched much about anemones but it's important to know that if they die in the tank they can pollute the rest of the tank, so you really don't want to add one while you are learning about all the water chemistry stuff. BUT all that said, they are overall very hardy! I have lost two, but I don't think either were healthy when I got them. Neither ever accepted food. Also, what lighting do you have? They are not as high light demanding as others but still need good lighting.

In my experience RFAs are a little more forgiving than BTAs and other anemones. I think you may still want to give it at least 4-6 months if this is your first tank. If you are planning to add fish then I'd probably add those first and get your feeding and water change routine established. They do not like high nitrates so you want to make sure you are able to keep those in check. Once you've had fish for a while and able to keep some corals healthy then you'd be ready. I don't know if you've researched much about anemones but it's important to know that if they die in the tank they can pollute the rest of the tank, so you really don't want to add one while you are learning about all the water chemistry stuff. BUT all that said, they are overall very hardy! I have lost two, but I don't think either were healthy when I got them. Neither ever accepted food. Also, what lighting do you have? They are not as high light demanding as others but still need good lighting.

I've got a handy AI Prime fixture. Thing is awesome! Being able to manage settings and timing on my phone has been a huge plus. Yeah, I am definitely planning on getting fish in and maybe a few hardy beginner corals first before I even attempt a nem. Sounds like these guys are the way to go though for a saltwater noob's first anemone though based off what I've read. Autumnsky, Ill be sure to check that Petco, its just a few minutes from my school so Ill have to check it out after practice one day.

+1 They are about as easy as an anemone can get though.

I received only part of my order and they can't tell me how long till I get the rest.
they are following in the shoes of another place I used to order from ,
any way I got only 1 rock nem out of the bundle of 10 isn't that amazing :facepalm:
They sent me another nem for the inconvenience they claim it's a rose bud
but don't look like any rose bud i have seen .
also ordered a bunch of frags big mistake not one made it a week ,
I got a box porcupine puffer didn't make 12 hrs , never again will I deal with this place .

well here's the 2 nems I did get at-least there doing good
the first 2 pictures are of the rock nem at different times
the second 2 are what they claim is a rose bud .

img_3359751_0_8b2654750fa5407dac1bdf847192b1b8.jpg

img_3359751_1_b357a6968034b666d58100563abefe78.jpg

img_3359751_2_c34425ca874b26e111b6ed8b881de610.jpg

img_3359751_3_3480b3edc0c9d9dca217a4d45661d76d.jpg

I received only part of my order and they can't tell me how long till I get the rest.
they are following in the shoes of another place I used to order from ,
any way I got only 1 rock nem out of the bundle of 10 isn't that amazing :facepalm:
They sent me another nem for the inconvenience they claim it's a rose bud
but don't look like any rose bud i have seen .
also ordered a bunch of frags big mistake not one made it a week ,
I got a box porcupine puffer didn't make 12 hrs , never again will I deal with this place .

well here's the 2 nems I did get at-least there doing good
the first 2 pictures are of the rock nem at different times
the second 2 are what they claim is a rose bud .

img_3359781_0_8b2654750fa5407dac1bdf847192b1b8.jpg

img_3359781_1_b357a6968034b666d58100563abefe78.jpg

img_3359781_2_c34425ca874b26e111b6ed8b881de610.jpg

img_3359781_3_3480b3edc0c9d9dca217a4d45661d76d.jpg

Dang that sucks. Are they willing to refund you your money back? At least those 2 you got are pretty sweet looking. Not sure what a rose bud is, but that is nice looking. Looks like a rock flower to me though. Hopefully they didn't mean a rose bubble, because that is an all out lie.

I was thinking they meant rose bubble also , it does look like a super size rock nem when open , but it looks kind of neat when it closes up as it puffs up it's also shooting out babies,

Nice looking rock flowers Seaweed. And babes too, that is a big plus. Sorry about the they are treating you though.

Last edited by a moderator:
the so called rose bud is a oversized rock nem with 6 flowers on it , now I can see were the name rose bud comes in when it closes it looks like a rose so cool
yup still waiting for remainder of order ,

looking around for rock nems still addicting yes

My Sexy Shrimp are still hanging out around the RFA at least one and usually 2 are there and ocassionallly 3. I can't tell if my 4th shrimp is missing or just one seems to always be somewhere else, but would like to get a few more of them and another RFA.

I really thought I would get an email about them becoming available from the distributor by now, but not yet. I have plenty enough to do atm anyway with fish stuff so no worries. Though looking forward to getting these inhabitants to the larger 12G pretty soon. Once that happens, I will probably need to buy a new RFA to celebrate. ;)

Hope your order comes soon Seaweed! Can't wait to see them.

the so called rose bud is a oversized rock nem with 6 flowers on it , now I can see were the name rose bud comes in when it closes it looks like a rose so cool
yup still waiting for remainder of order ,

looking around for rock nems still addicting yes

I need to see the rosebud opened up fully, I'm curious about this one! Stinks that the rest of them still haven't come.

My Sexy Shrimp are still hanging out around the RFA at least one and usually 2 are there and ocassionallly 3. I can't tell if my 4th shrimp is missing or just one seems to always be somewhere else, but would like to get a few more of them and another RFA.

I really thought I would get an email about them becoming available from the distributor by now, but not yet. I have plenty enough to do atm anyway with fish stuff so no worries. Though looking forward to getting these inhabitants to the larger 12G pretty soon. Once that happens, I will probably need to buy a new RFA to celebrate. ;)

Hope your order comes soon Seaweed! Can't wait to see them.

Yes! RFAs are a perfect way to celebrate! I need to get some more sexy shrimp for my biocube flower garden. And maybe a porcelain crab.

I picked a new one up today :) and plan to start moving my other ones to the biocube over the next few days.

Back
Top Bottom