Rock Haul..!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big Tex

Aquarium Advice Addict
so i found a local landscaping company that sells small boulders and sand for landscaping, and turns out the yard hand handling the loader is a local fish enthusiast and loaded me up a bucket of boulders and when we get to the scale turns out i over shot my 100lb mark and got about 185lbs of rocks, he walks inside and tells the clerk to charge me for 100lbs and i got it for $0.12/lb! came out to $14.07 in total plus he threw in a couple slate peices he had in the bucket from that last load! today is officially a good day (y)

Attachments

• EBA 008.jpg
    EBA 008.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 118
thanks for the positive feedback guys, where do i start a build thread? here in the cichlids section..? its an all cichlids tank btw

sweet, ill be doing so soon then, right now its a bare tank with sand and a black painted background

Ok guys.. Should I be worried..? After wetting my rocks they turned out more yellowish white and orange than white. And I just put a few rocks like 5-6 in my tanks and my waters a bit cloudy, I gave em a good wash with the hose and a firehose nozzle on the end. Is this rock safe..? Should I just let it clear? My fish are kinda avoiding the rock right now but I'm guessing because its kinda alien to them? Help asap!

Attachments

• image-2775257410.jpg
    image-2775257410.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 87
  • image-1208213664.jpg
    image-1208213664.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 99
I think it should be fine. There's some sorta vinegar test I think. After u wash them put vinegar on a spot and if it bubbles its not good? I think that's what it is. Maybe a veteran can tell us? Or google it..

I think it should be fine. There's some sorta vinegar test I think. After u wash them put vinegar on a spot and if it bubbles its not good? I think that's what it is. Maybe a veteran can tell us? Or google it..

That is the test. If it bubbles it will change your water chemistry making it harder and increasing ph.

Wow, the fish seam FREAKED out! Wow, I can't get over that. On a different note...what a terrible employee! Sorry, but I am in a family business and that's just not cool! People have to feed their families ya know!

Aaaaaaaaaand I'm got impatient lol

Attachments

• image-1039267959.jpg
    image-1039267959.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 91
Wow, the fish seam FREAKED out! Wow, I can't get over that. On a different note...what a terrible employee! Sorry, but I am in a family business and that's just not cool! People have to feed their families ya know!

I get that, but I'm in retail and wholesale and I can understand your point of view but they maybe paid $0.04-$0.06/lb for that rock or maybe even a price per pallet idk but I'm sure they lose more money it top soil and sand flying away in the wind then rock sales it's about $30-$50 a cubic yard for that stuff.

I get that, but I'm in retail and wholesale and I can understand your point of view but they maybe paid $0.04-$0.06 for that rock, I think they lose more money it top soil and sand flying away in the wind then rock sales it's about $30-$50 a cubic yard for that stuff.

It's the principle of it, not the amount lost or gained.

The tank looks good though! I love it because I am the same way, I will act like I'm going to take my time or what not....4 hours later, and a soaking wet carpet, and the fiancée sleeping in the couch. Hahah

Well guys the tank looks really good now, I got up for an early morning wiz and decided to check on the tank, here's a pic of it, I'm happy with how it came out and the fish have never been happier. Thanks for all the positive reinforcement guys!!

Attachments

• image-1129087381.jpg
    image-1129087381.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 74
  • image-2225072558.jpg
    image-2225072558.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 75

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom