rock help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Herotilapia_Multispinosa

Aquarium Advice Freak
My dream world where fish is all that matters.
So I found these pieces of "slate" in the alley next to my house and decided to take three pieces home causeci thought what is there to lose. So I cleaned them very well and just did a viniger test and it didn't fizz like I thought it would. Does this mean it's not slate? Does the viniger test not always work etc?

Herotilapia_Multispinosa said:
So I found these pieces of "slate" in the alley next to my house and decided to take three pieces home causeci thought what is there to lose. So I cleaned them very well and just did a viniger test and it didn't fizz like I thought it would. Does this mean it's not slate? Does the viniger test not always work etc?

Some say the vinegar test says it's inert, so it should be safe. I'd put it in some aquarium safe water for a few days then run all the API tests on the water to see what it does to it. I think the pH test is the biggie.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...-safe-for-my-aquarium-140830.html#post1218995

I'd almost be afraid of what they may have come in contact with being found in an ally. Im all for using things and not buying. I just got slate from Vermont my best friend got from her families property and I used rocks from our land with no problems. But I know they haven't come in contact with chemicals etc and are natural. If this makes sense?

Yea I am to. I might bleach the **** out of them then soak them for a week plus. I know where it came from it came from a living room of the house next door. They are renevating thier living room and they took there fence down to redo that and that's when I saw some slate still on the floor.

Herotilapia_Multispinosa said:
Yea I am to. I might bleach the **** out of them then soak them for a week plus. I know where it came from it came from a living room of the house next door. They are renevating thier living room and they took there fence down to redo that and that's when I saw some slate still on the floor.

No more than a 10% bleach solution, or it could poison it. If it's small enough, put it in the toilet tank for a couple weeks (instant FW change with every flush) and it should be fine.

And you save water with every flush!!! I actually have a larger brick in our tank to help save water :)

Back
Top Bottom