Rock hunting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sweetcarolinex3

Aquarium Advice Activist
Today I went out and found a bunch of rocks to do diy caves and such. I scrubbed them and boiled them so I know there's nothing living on them but some were very dark black and I think that may be from oil. The ones that clearly had oil on them I'm not using but there was one very dark one that didn't change when I scrubbed or boiled. Do you think they'll be save?

I would play it safe and find another rock, especially if it was next to so e rocks that definitely had oil on them.

Have you tried pouring vinegar on it? If it fizzes up, I don't think it's safe. Hopefully some one will chime in that knows more about it. I would be very careful, a lot aren't safe and/or may change your parameters.

I doubt the rocks are dark because of oil. If they are oil stained then youd generally know it. Where'd you collect them from? I know most places its illegal to collect rocks and such.

I doubt the rocks are dark because of oil. If they are oil stained then youd generally know it. Where'd you collect them from? I know most places its illegal to collect rocks and such.

An old country club which is now private property but my friend knows everyone that lives there. I wouldn't have done it if it was a problem. There was glass place there before so we also got slag glass but I'm thinking the oil might be from that. One of the dark rocks turned green after being boiled does that mean anything significant?

Boiling rocks is not a great idea, they can go kablooey and send shrapnel flying all over the place, I'd honestly just ditch the rocks, and old time factory could have been using all types of hazardous crap.. can you find a construction site or quarry where rocks have been recently unearthed? I take them from.my job sites and give them a scrub and soak than pour boiling water over them and let them sit in it for a minute.. in the tank they go..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Boiling rocks is not a great idea, they can go kablooey and send shrapnel flying all over the place, I'd honestly just ditch the rocks, and old time factory could have been using all types of hazardous crap.. can you find a construction site or quarry where rocks have been recently unearthed? I take them from.my job sites and give them a scrub and soak than pour boiling water over them and let them sit in it for a minute.. in the tank they go..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm going to agree with broonster on this one. Being exposed to pullutants that could possibly come out of an old time factory is not a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom