Rock Piles or Rock Caves?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brandonv26

Aquarium Advice Regular
I purchased about 60 lbs of lace rock for my new 55g Malawi cichlid setup and I am just wondering whether I am better to just pile it or make as many caves as I can with it. Thanks

You'll want to pile but also make as many different size caves as possible. If your anything like me, I wouldn't worry about it being perfect at first. Because I change mine almost monthly.

Thanks for the reply Andrew. Hard to believe I only got one reply on this. I would think it would be a fairly common question for a beginner. Can some people maybe also post pics of there 55g mbuna cichlid setups so I can get a better idea of how to arrange the rocks?

If you haven't put any substrate in yet, you might want to pick up some egg crate to protect the bottom glass in your tank.

Crawdaddy said:
If you haven't put any substrate in yet, you might want to pick up some egg crate to protect the bottom glass in your tank.

Already have the egg crate and the rocks and am ready to go. Just trying to figure out how to configure them.

Hard to believe I only got one reply on this. I would think it would be a fairly common question for a beginner. Can some people maybe also post pics of there 55g mbuna cichlid setups so I can get a better idea of how to arrange the rocks?

Try the search above and you will find what you are looking for.

below is a sticky

post your cichlid setup here!

YouTube

55 gallon Lake Malawi African Cichlid Mbuna

and many many more..........

Be creative...like Andrew mentioned above place your rocks in, step away and make adjustments as you go. Don't hesitate to chance your rocks around every so often...especially when you introduce more fish in your tank. It's hard to say not knowing what type or how big your rocks are so you need to figure out your layout.

Your best bet is making a template using a cardboard same size as your tank and create your setup the way you like it. Then you will have a better idea what you are looking for that suits your cichlids best.

Back
Top Bottom