Rock Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stagerlee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am just finishing up my fishless cycle of a 5 gal fw tank. Durning the cycle when it seemed it had stalled I went to a lfs and they said I should get a piece of live rock to put in there to house the bacteria. I did and things are under way. But the rock is real big. I was wondering once the cycle is done can I take out that rock or break it up intp a couple smaller pieces with out effecting my water levels too bad?

What do you mean by live rock? If you mean a normal rock that's been in an established FW tank then that's OK, but if you mean the live rock that's used in saltwater tanks they won't work in freshwater as it'll just become dead rock.

If your using the LR from saltwater tanks, in one piece or broken apart, it will affect you water chemistry. LR is essentially calcium carbonate, which breaks down into freshwater and raises the pH of the water.

Ok great, thanks guys......so I am a super novice at this stuff and while I was in the middle of a fish less cycle it seemed to stall out. So I went into a local fish store and talked to the guy about the situation. I don't know if he thought I had a sw tank and at that point I thought rock was just rock. So long story short, am I up the creek now? My ammonia levels keep dropping to 0, nitrites are at 8ppm, & nitrates are at 120ppm. So my cycle should be done soon. But if that was live rock he had me put in there (which now that I think about it, came in a plastic bag with some water) probably was. What should I do? I'm such a idiot! LOL

No, you're not up a creek at all. Unless you plan on keeping fish which require a pH around 8 you are going to want to remove that rock from the tank. At this point, any saltwater bacteria have died off, and it is most likely covered in freshwater bacteria, so removing it may have some impact on your cycle, but shouldn't have much. I'd replace it with rock and/or driftwood appropriate for a freshwater tank. What type of filter system are you running on the tank. At this point, I'd also do some partial water changes to reduce the nitrate load or you are liable to start having some nusiance algaes showing up, unless you plan on planted tank.

Advise appreciated. I checked the filter there is no name on it, came with the tank. It's a 5 gal mini-bow tank. It is a HOB style. So checked my ph seems high, about 8. I can reduce that with water changes correct? Also should I worry about any other bacteria from the rock in the tank now?

The 8 PH is likely from the rock, as Wy Renegade said. You might want to test your tap water's PH (test it twice: out of the tap and then leave a glass out for 24 hours and stir it occasionally and test PH again ---- this is your true PH and what your tank's PH should be.If it's lower than 8 then the live rock is making the PH rise). If your true tap's PH is lower than 8 then yes you can lower it with water changes. Any saltwater bacteria that may have been on the rock is now dead, so no worries there.

Been a great help. I didn't know to let the tap water sit. I'd did test if right outta the faucet and it was at 7.6. So once I get my nitrite spike and do my big water change hopefully all will be good. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom