Rocks for fish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Italy592

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 75 gallon fish tank with a few cichlids in it now. But I was wondering were could I get like rocks to build more caves and stuff for them. I don't like slate n stuff like that tho so if any one has any suggestions it be greatly appreciated !!

I tried that but the places I've been to really didnt have good stuff n I spent like a hour or 2 looking thro piles if rocks ha

I have an old chlorine tablet bucket full of rocks. I got all of mine from rivers in TN and GA while on vacation. They are really nice. Got a few 20+ lb slabs. So if there are rivers nearby, i'd go look there for more natural looking/variety.

Nice I never thought about that before there are a few around and there good for making caves n stuff for the cichlids ??

Go buy some river rocks from the store.
Put vinegar on them to see if they bubble and if they do they aren't safe.
You can use aquarium silicone to make very interesting rock structures by attaching them together.

Yeah, I stack mine without glue or anything because I like to remodel a lot. They didn't mess with my water either.

Aquarium silicon ?? I've never knew that there was something like that !! But there's a place with laced rock and it's kinda ok but I haven't found anything I liked yet so I'm trying to figure something else out but thanks

I like to remodel too !!! Alot is it good for the fish to remodel

Ohh ok yeah tht makes sense I never really thought about that !!

That silicone smells horrible, i had to reseal my tank a week ago.
I'm not sure if remodeling a lot is bad, I do it every few months. Moving and stacking 25lb slabs is a lot of work.

No I only do it every few months too it's just I Wana make more caves now cuz the cichlids r breeding.

I found a bunch of great rocks upstate ny. We do a lot of fly fishing and the natural running streams have an unlimited amount of beautiful rocks to choose from. So streams. And very clean running rivers are a good place to start.

Vinegar doesn't determie whether a rock is safe or not... not sure why that keeps getting spread around. Vinegar simply tells whether the rock is more basic than vinegar... acid + base = fizz. If a tanks pH is 7.8 or higher, rocks are very very unlikely to alter the pH at all. Even if it's lower, it aint gonna hurt much.

I got all my rocks that I had in my mbuna tank from a local creek... had somewhere around 300-350lbs and all sorts of shapes and sizes

Last edited:
im setting up my 55 gallon cichlid tank currently and also went to the local landscaping place and got my rocks for 25 cents a pound, decked the tank out in less than 10 bucks!

Back
Top Bottom