Rocks from Michael's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shana0310

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, yesterday I bought a few bags of river rock from Michael's to use in my 26 gallon redo. Anyway...they were really shiny so I've been soaking them in hot water all day. Every time I dump the bucket there is an oil slick across the top. I'm sure it's some sort of polish, but I swear they have a flowery smell to them. Almost like potpourri. It's dissipated a bit but I swear it's still there. My question is, has anyone had a similar experience? Were you able to use them eventually? Or did I buy myself some expensive yard mulch? Any advise? Ideas of what I could be doing other than what I'm doing? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I wouldn't risk using them.

You can buy river stones from home depot in a fairly large bag for about $3. I've used this in my tanks.

Try soaking them for an hour or so in a 1:1 solution of white vinegar:water. The vinegar will strip away anything on those rocks. After that soak, just a rinse with hot water. If the oil slick is still there after that, then I'm at a loss! ?
+1 for the Home Depot alternative.

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?
http://floridaorchidendlers.com

I use white natural river rocks I got from hobby lobby. Soaked em about an hour and put em right in.
I wouldn't use them if they've got a scent to them and make the water have an oily film.
Fyi the next time you purchase something for aquarium use (i.e. rocks & plants) smell it first. If it has any scent to it walk away.
All of my fake plants (except for 2 small ones) are from Michaels and the river rocks are from hobby lobby.

Don't use them period, there are many other cheap more natural alternatives

Well I've scrubbed and rinsed and scrubbed some more. The shiny (oil slick) is gone and the rocks look...well...matte. I can still smell some thing on 2 of the rocks - yep, I sniffed each one ?. I would have never thought they'd have a smell and I doubt they were packaged that way since there's no mention of it on the label. I don't know if it would have helped to smell in the store since the entire store smells that way. I'll check out Home Depot. I've only every seen the small rocks there.

I was looking for the bigger approx 4"-5" rocks. Are you guys talking about rocks that size?

Thanks again!!

Back
Top Bottom