Rocks in aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

epsolon77

Aquarium Advice Regular
Does anyone see a problem putting backyard rocks into your aquarium? Assuming I let them soak for a while and clean them (no chemicals). Also test to make sure they do not change the PH of the water, would it cause a problem?

nope, shouldnt unless theyre limestone or something of that nature. Ive got rocks straight from the creek in mine. all rock is created the same, whether you buy it at a store, or get it from the back yard. the only thing you need to make sure of is that there havent been any pesticides or herbicides sprayed on them. That is where you would run in to problems

nope, shouldnt unless theyre limestone or something of that nature.

great point. you need to avoid rocks that contain Calcium Carbonate or Magnesium carbonate because these will screw around with your kH level which can have tank wide effects.

'zactly!

Before soaking them for a while and testing the water another simple test would be the fizz test. Put a few drops of vinegar on the rock, watch and listen for fizzing. Also do a baking soda paste and do the same.

I recommend that you find out what kinds of rocks are in your area before sticking any random rock in the tank. My friend once put a rock that he found outside into his tank, and the next morning many of his fish were sick and/or dead. Little did he know at first that the rock he put in was a broken piece of concrete from a sidewalk. Also, you never know when you will come across a rock such as limestone, which is very calcareous and can rapidly raise pH. However I don't think that will be a problem since you are testing the rock before it goes in. I am just saying to be careful which rock you choose.

You have a great point quaqa88. Know what the rock is before putting it in the tank. Growing up I was a bit of a rock collector, so I had kind of assumed I knew what the rock was before even thinking of putting it in the tank. I currently have some catoctin greenstone with a quartzite vein, a chunk of iorn laced metamorphic stone with a vein of quartzite and a piece of shale, or slate, whichever the hard one that is used on roofs (I always get the two names mixed up). They look great and have been sitting pretty for about a month now. My angels even laid some eggs on them about a week ago.

Back
Top Bottom