Rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
how much rock for what?

A 10 gallon is made from pretty thin glass - I would not put more then 20 or 30 lbs. Make sure you use egg-crate or some sort of pad on the bottom glass to protect it from any sharp points on the rocks.

I don't know if you've encountered them, but Texas Holey Limestones are great rocks for tanks, esp. if you them along with driftwood. I'd get a nice 15-lb stone on Ebay for the tank as a centerpiece, and perhaps a small piece of driftwood. Check out these rocks, because they are fascinating. Your fish will love them for shelter and for fun--my danios chase each other through my holey limestones all the time, and my Kuhli Loach hides in the passages.

Only caveat: limestone will increase your pH and kH (only a little). It's best to combine driftwood (which will lower your pH) and limestone to balance the pH.

Here's one on Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2343111130&category=3212

I think you'll find that it's actually cheaper to buy a limestone online and have it shipped than to buy lots of rocks at your LFS. AND you'll really love the look of these stones. I have three, and they make all the difference.

OK, I'm a little partial!!

Back
Top Bottom