Rosy barb.. Has it laid eggs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Muchcha

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey! I put two rosy barbs inside my new breeding tank which had lots of plants and marbles.. the tank was 10-15 gallon.. And my female one was pregnant and had a huge stomach.. It was yellows.. And then I added a red coloured male.. After about 3 to 4 days I can see my females stomach has gone down and she stays a lot in the bottom part of the tank like she is tired.. And when the male chases her she doesn't swim around the tank like 2 days back.. They are mates now anyway.. Because they were crazy few days back(chasing each other,specially the male chasing the female). but now She just swims up and down on a corner of the tank.. Close to the glass(touching it).. So has she laid eggs? And will she lay eggs again in few days if she has? Please explain and help me.. I searched for eggs but I couldn't find.. The male didn't go to the bottom a lot like the female,so I doubt there are eggs,because if there are they will eat right? That's what I heard.. Don't know if they ate at night :( So if anyone can help me,it will be a great thing and a huge favour for me.. Because I'm kinda new to this.. Thank you!

Hey! I put two rosy barbs inside my new breeding tank which had lots of plants and marbles.. the tank was 10-15 gallon.. And my female one was pregnant and had a huge stomach.. It was yellows.. And then I added a red coloured male.. After about 3 to 4 days I can see my females stomach has gone down and she stays a lot in the bottom part of the tank like she is tired.. And when the male chases her she doesn't swim around the tank like 2 days back.. They are mates now anyway.. Because they were crazy few days back(chasing each other,specially the male chasing the female). but now She just swims up and down on a corner of the tank.. Close to the glass(touching it).. So has she laid eggs? And will she lay eggs again in few days if she has? Please explain and help me.. I searched for eggs but I couldn't find.. The male didn't go to the bottom a lot like the female,so I doubt there are eggs,because if there are they will eat right? That's what I heard.. Don't know if they ate at night :( So if anyone can help me,it will be a great thing and a huge favour for me.. Because I'm kinda new to this.. Thank you!

When you can't see the eggs to confirm the spawn, you look at the female. When she is thinner than the day before, they have spawned and the adults should be removed from the aquarium as they will eat their own eggs. You may not be able to see the eggs because they are in between the marbles (which is why you use the marbles) and at 80degrees, should hatch in about 3 days and the fry should become free swimming in approx. 3 more days. At that point, they need to be fed infusoria / green water until they are large enough for newly hatched brine shrimp or first bites powdered food.

Depending on their diet, females are ready to spawn again in about 2- 3 weeks so leaving them in the tank with fry is not recommended. Also, if possible, keeping the male and female separated will also help the female build up the strength to spawn again without the male hasseling her prematurely.

Hope this helps (y)

Rosy barbs get big... They need 30 gallons IMO. But that doesn't matter. Just to add, when you see she has laid the eggs and you take them out of the tank, start the infusoria so it's ready when they hatch

Back
Top Bottom